1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Alzheimer's Trial: Lessons From a Failed Drug — What the pragmatic trial of minocycline can teach us

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Jaybee00, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Marky, Lisa108 and ME/CFS Skeptic like this.
  2. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Its fascinating how little we know about alzheimers despite the huge effort

Also what exactly is an animal model with alzheimers when we dont know at all the pathological mechanism of alzheimers?

Cheshire and Sarah94 like this.
  3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would imagine they have several mice, genetically modified to wander into rooms and leave without making a cup of tea, who when placed in a shop wander around for ages and then leave without buying the one thing they went in there for, etc.

MarcNotMark, chrisb, Mij and 10 others like this.
  4. Marky

Exactly :emoji_grin::emoji_grin:

MEMarge likes this.
  5. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How to fail a given drug for a disease: trial it at insufficient dosages for too short a time frame. I wonder, though, what they imagine they are shotgunning mino at. All that voodoo entangled Tau Rastafarian biofilm Zen Protein comprised of...what?

You know who got real good with this version of a card trick? Some notable Lyme researchers.

Point is, what microbe is the mino antimicrobial properties supposed to do a number on? Does it have a name? Or are they just having patients swallow tetracyclines due to anti--inflammatory properties?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    MEMarge, Marky and Sarah94 like this.
  6. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you were told that you had MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment), a condition that is usually diagnosed prior to developing Alzheimer's, would you want to just leave it and wait for the inevitable decline and death?

Given their way this is what the pharma companies would like to see happen. They are desperately trying to develop a drug which will slow the decline into full-blown dementia. They want to come up with something they can sell and make lots of money from - and if anyone comes up with a solution before they do they want to make sure they destroy that solution and convince people it doesn't work.

Unfortunately for big pharma a treatment has been found. But it is cheap as chips and not patentable. So, naturally, this treatment has to be undermined and dismissed.

For full details, see this article from Jerome Burne : http://healthinsightuk.org/2015/08/...we-want-a-cure-just-so-long-as-its-not-cheap/

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Sarah94 like this.
  7. Wonko

I was told several years ago that I had MCI. :grumpy:

8. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Wonko Sorry to hear that. :(

Wonko likes this.
  9. Marky

Dont a lot of people with ME basically have this?

Wonko and Arnie Pye like this.
  10. Wonko

As far as I am aware yes.

I put it down to the effects of ME anyway.

It's difficult to be sure but I am not aware of any family history of such things, although my maternal grandmother was 83 for about a decade before she died.

Marky and Arnie Pye like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some of the mice are genetically modified so they can no longer drive cars!

12. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Cort Johnson did an article re the lack of progress in Alzheimers: https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2019/09/16/alzheimers-chronic-fatigue-fibromyalgia/
    Here's an extract "study found that some people who had never come down with dementia had plaque-filled brains" i.e. it looks like research has been focused on the wrong area.
    Here's another extract:
    “The Holy Grail in this field has been to discover how to turn off neuroinflammation in microglia.”
    @Simon M I think the potential role of microglia was identified via genome wide association studies alzheimer's
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022283619300646

Chris Pointing is currently working on a UK grant application for a genome wide association study in ME.

Here's another extract from Cort's article:
    "Parkinson’s is another disease with a neuroinflammatory element. (Like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s researchers mistook the trees for the forest when they concentrated on dopamine rather than the neuroinflammatory factors which triggered the dopamine problems.)"

So yes it appears that a lot of money (resources) can be focused on the wrong place. Interestingly the focus of research is now on areas that may benefit ME -- as per Cort's article.

Marky likes this.