1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Age-related fatigue is associated with reduced mitochondrial function in peripheral blood mononuclear cells : Herpich et al 2020

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0531556520305258?dgcid=rss_sd_all

Louie41, JemPD, Kitty and 2 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it, though?

Is it?

Interesting but this definition is weird.

Snow Leopard, Louie41, JemPD and 2 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed – the study was done by a German team, though, so in fairness it could just be an odd translation of something that was already a bit truncated by the abstract form.

Louie41 and JemPD like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think the authors know what it is they want to study. They talk of age-related fatigue but that is not the same as fatigue, in comparison to no fatigue, in the elderly. Fatigue in comparison to no fatigue in yougsters might be the same. Moreover, unless they have looked carefully to see why the fatigued people are fatigued the whole thing seems pointless. Even more pointless when PBMCs are likely to give no indication of any metabolic problem that might cause fatigue.

I think this is mitochondriobabble.

TrixieStix, Louie41, oldtimer and 5 others like this.
  5. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ouroboros reminds me of series 7 of Red Dwarf with Lister going back in time to become his own parent.

As for fatigue, before I got ME I had disabling fatigue for 6 years but it was relieved by sleep - I just couldn't get enough sleep due to living in a noisy environment and having to attend college/work. I needed 10 hours of sleep.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020