1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice RE claiming UK benefits, paying NI contributions

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by InitialConditions, Jan 15, 2019.

1. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi does anyone have ideas for info about the nature of moderate ME that would be worth taking to a Jobcentre appt. I know this is a bit random. The person in question had an ESA where the assessor basically said she wasn't making enough effort and it looks like they are trying to put her in the applying for jobs group. This is despite the fact that she was working fultime until a couple of years ago, when she got ME and became too ill to keep working!

Sly Saint and Trish like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Possibly the ME Association disability scale might help?

MEMarge and Trish like this.
  3. Diluted-biscuit

Diluted-biscuit Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I highly doubt any fact sheets about ME will make any difference. They or you would be better off contacting the CAB for advice. Their local MP would also probably be able to help.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Getting someone from the CAB to fill in the forms for us helped a lot. And a GP report that described what we were unable to do.

If they want a quick and up to date explanation of what ME is and PEM, this paragraph from a paper published this week might be helpful:

Frontiers in Pediatrics
    Perspective article: ''Advances in ME/CFS: Past, Present and Future'' by Kenneth Friedman.
    Free full text now available. This is the introductory article to a themed edition of the journal by its guest editor. The article gives a history of CFS in the USA and the missteps and lack of funding. It uses research and treatment of HIV/AIDS as a comparison.
    Paper here Thread here

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

do you mean the Work Related Activity group? If so, they don't make you apply for jobs. The idea is supposedly to get you ready for work.
    From my experience you need to really hammer home the being able to do things reliably, safely, of a reasonable standard and in a timely manner (or not as would likely be the case most of the time).

ladycatlover, Trish and MEMarge like this.
  6. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Coming to this rather late, I'm afraid, but ... You *have* to register as self-employed within 3 months of starting being freelance (I think it may be debatable whether this is defined as the first time you receive income from it?). HMRC may fine you if you don't.

If you're living on your own, make sure you claim the reductions to which you're entitled, too. I think that's 25% off council tax, and possibly the same amount off your water rates, at least. Every little helps :)