1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice from 'experts' on post-viral fatigue following Covid-19 (NHS Oxford Health, Science Media Centre, ...)

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Andy, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Trial By Error: My FOI Letter about Oxford's Post-COVID-19 Fatigue Pamphlet

These are my questions:
    1. What is the “psychosocial response group,” which is credited on the cover of the pamphlet? I have searched for the term on the site and nothing comes up. How many people are members of this group, and what are their professional qualifications and/or medical specialties? When was this group established, and what is its official mandate? What else has it done?
    2. Can you provide a list of the peer-reviewed studies and related scientific documentation used to generate the material in the pamphlet specifically about chronic fatigue syndrome, including risk factors for the illness, diagnostic criteria, management strategies and treatment?

Ravn, Michelle, daftasabrush and 29 others like this.
  2. large donner

large donner Guest

Found them!!

upload_2020-4-19_13-56-54.jpeg

Ravn, Amw66, dangermouse and 16 others like this.
  3. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wrote (again) to the Cochrane Independent Advisory Group email address. This group, led by Hilda Bastian, will be overseeing an update of the Exercise for CFS review. https://community.cochrane.org/orga...eholder-engagement-high-profile-reviews-pilot. I have been calling for a withdrawal of the review, along with many others, for some time. According to Cochrane's own policy, if following the conclusions of a review may result in harm to patients, then it should be withdrawn.

Dear Hilda

Here is a recent example of “following the conclusions of a Cochrane review” with no reference to any shortcomings in the evidence. https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/OH-011.20-Coronavirus-and-fatigue-v2.pdf. They have obviously not read the latest amendment of the review which acknowledged at least to some extent the low quality of the evidence. They have not given any references to any the evidence to support their claim that CBT and GET are effective. Please will you or Cochrane contact Oxford Health Psychosocial Response Team immediately alerting them to the review amendment, and ask them to withdraw their misleading pamphlet?

Best

Caroline

PS I posted to you and Cochrane on Twitter just now as well https://twitter.com/user/status/1251107254679605248

JohnTheJack, Ravn, Michelle and 42 others like this.
  4. PhysiosforME

PhysiosforME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

JohnTheJack, Ravn, Tia and 35 others like this.
  5. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks Caroline, and everyone else who is calling them out on this. Just when you think it can’t get any worse.... :banghead:

Mithriel, Ravn, Tia and 15 others like this.
  6. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Fantastic work, thank you so much @PhysiosforME and all the signatories of the letter. I hope it succeeds.

8. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @PhysiosforME a great piece of work making the important points clearly and concisely.

PhysiosforME, Anna H, Ravn and 11 others like this.
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

10. 2kidswithME

I see 35 references, compared with zero in the leaflet! Well done to the team behind it. MEA reports the leaflet has been taken down now.

PhysiosforME, Anna H, Hutan and 18 others like this.
  11. 2kidswithME

has anyone saved a copy of the leaflet for reference?

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Ravn and 6 others like this.
  12. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, Hutan, MEMarge and 13 others like this.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

MSEsperanza, MEMarge, Ravn and 7 others like this.
  14. lycaena

lycaena Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes I had, and I'm glad to see others did also. Now I'll even be more interested to get the answers to my FOI questions.

MSEsperanza, Anna H, Hutan and 20 others like this.
  16. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@PhysiosforME That letter is a thing of beauty! It made my day thanks so much :)

17. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:thumbup: brilliant. Thank you so much @PhysiosforME & everyone involved!

I checked & discovered it's still available via the link from Worcestershire -

https://www.hacw.nhs.uk/covid19/

Any ideas how to get it removed from here too?

18. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

good catch. I assume then it might still be available all over if it's been copied to other sites.

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Good thing it was taken down. Horrible timing to push out disinformation when it is critical for the public to trust experts. Especially given the behaviorists being behind the horrible herd immunity strategy.

Destroying the very idea of expertise by promoting ideology in a pandemic is just about the worst possible use of health care resources I can think of. These people never think of the consequences of giving their opinions and beliefs false credibility, that's about the only reliable thing about this school of thought.

20. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020