1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Adults with ME/CFS report surprisingly high rates of youth symptoms: A qualitative analysis of patient blog commentary 2023 Johnson, Jason et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

BACKGROUND:
    Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a debilitating chronic illness that impacts pediatric populations.

OBJECTIVE:
    The current study aimed to better understand adult perceptions of their experiences leading up to their diagnosis of ME/CFS.

METHOD:
    Patients provided data regarding symptoms of ME/CFS they may have experienced during childhood through a popular community blog forum, with participants interacting via blog comments in real-time and across various geographical locations.

RESULTS:
    Descriptive analyses indicated that roughly 43% of adult survey participants reported having developed ME/CFS prior to age 18. A standard content analysis of patient blog commentary revealed several themes, such as poor mental health, family pattern/history, healthy childhood preceding sick adulthood, feeling misunderstood, lack of clarity until adulthood, sharing of resources, poor school functioning, isolation/poor social supports, and coping mechanisms.

CONCLUSION:
    There are unique benefits and insights that can be used by investigators who collaborate with patient organizations as a means of better understanding ME/CFS illness severity, presentation, and lived experiences.

Open access, https://content.iospress.com/articles/work/wor220484

2. Shadrach Loom

Shadrach Loom Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This feels like unacceptable use of message board posts, depending on how consent was provided, especially given the tendentious focus of the research.

It makes me wonder what protection S4ME has against ill-intentioned researchers, thread about that here. https://www.s4me.info/threads/copyright.32324/

3. Shadrach Loom

Here’s what they said here about consent: (spoiler, it was “deemed unnecessary”)

4. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They simply analysed a poll and comments on the Health Rising forum.

5. CRG

CRG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Informed Consent
    Due to the public nature of the blog commentary and poll, the author’s Institutional Review Board deemed informed consent unnecessary."

How would we feel if this approach was used by the "usual psych suspects" to advance a psychosomatic or sectarian BPS agenda ? Clearly we have to be responsible for what we 'put out there' but simply disposing of informed consent because 'it was in public' seems insufficient.

RedFox, Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  6. Shadrach Loom

I think that’s close to what happened here, as the analysis includes psychosomatic tropes: Descriptions of poor or adverse mental health experiences, either as a trigger for ME/CFS, or as a result of the unique burden of this illness

Peter Trewhitt, Trish and CRG like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sean likes this.