1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Acupuncture for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: An Overview of Systematic Reviews, 2020, Yin et al

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Andy, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

FWIW, which in my opinion is very little.
    Paywall, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11655-020-3195-3

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

So a systematic review of systematic reviews finds the quality critically low, yet the overall conclusion is that acupuncture is effective and safe...
    Huh?

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm curious. Given that ME/CFS can cause widespread problems anywhere throughout the body, in muscles, nerves, bones, organs, which part of the body do the needles get stuck into when using acupuncture?

I've had acupuncture myself, about 20 years ago. In my case it was for a severe shoulder problem - I found the physical movements required in just getting dressed were too painful to tolerate and I had to get help to do it.

The acupuncture I had was carried out by a physiotherapist as a last resort because nothing else was working. The needles were stuck in and near the areas of greatest pain, so at least there was some relationship between the needles and the problem it was trying to fix.

I'm actually quite embarrassed about admitting that I had acupuncture and it helped, because it has such a bad reputation in western medicine. I certainly had no expectation that it would help - I thought it was going to be a complete waste of time and money. (I was seeing the physiotherapist privately.)

But there is no way that my experience of acupuncture for sore shoulders could be compared to using it in ME/CFS, where it doesn't even seem to have any semblance of logic behind it as a treatment.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The quality of systematic reviews is low, therefore more systematic reviews are needed?

That's some logic right there. Not the good kind, but it's definitely some logic. It would be weird even on a movie review: "This movie is terrible, 1/10, but we definitely recommend it". I, uh, what?

I'm genuinely puzzled how Cochrane has the reputation it has or even what purpose it serves given that garbage in garbage out almost seems like a feature. This is borderline satire of how conspiracy theorists imagine this is what scientists do, basically making stuff up to justify more useless work.

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

found this gofund me for a severe ME patient

https://www.gofundme.com/f/hannahs-fight-against-severe-me

scalp acupunture is now also called neuroacupuncture.
    https://www.neuroacupunctureinstitute.org/treatment/faqs-about-scalp-neuroacupuncture.html