1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Aberrations in the Cross-Talks Among Redox, Nuclear Factor-κB and Wnt/Catenin Pathway Signaling Underpin ME and chronic fatigue, 2021, Maes et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Hoopoe, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Title
    Aberrations in the Cross-Talks Among Redox, Nuclear Factor-κB and Wnt/Catenin Pathway Signaling Underpin Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Review and New Hypothesis Based on Results of Network, Enrichment and Annotation Analyses

Abstract

There is evidence that chronic fatigue spectrum disorders (CFAS-D) including Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and chronic fatigue with physiosomatic symptoms including when due to comorbid medical disease are characterized by neuroimmune and neuro-oxidative biomarkers. The present study was performed to delineate the protein-protein interaction (PPI) network of CFAS-D and to discover the pathways, molecular patterns and domains enriched in their PPI network.

We performed network, enrichment and annotation analysis using differentially expressed proteins and metabolics, which we established in CFAS-D patients. PPI network analysis revealed that the backbone of the highly connective CFAS-D network comprises NFKB1, CTNNB1, ALB, peroxides, NOS2, TNF, and IL6, and that the network comprises interconnected immune-oxidative-nitrosative and Wnt/catenin subnetworks. MultiOmics enrichment analysis shows that the CFAS-D network is highly significantly associated with cellular (antioxidant) detoxification, hydrogen peroxide metabolic process, peroxidase and oxidoreductase activity, IL10 anti-inflammatory signaling, and neurodegenerative, canonical Wnt, the catenin complex, cadherin domains, cell-cell junctions and TLR2/4 pathways; and the transcription factors NF-κB and RELA.

The top-10 DOID annotations of the CFAS-D network include four intestinal, three immune system disorders, cancer and infectious disease. Custom GO term annotation analysis revealed that the CFAS-D network is associated with a response to a toxic substance, lipopolysaccharides, bacterium or virus.

In conclusion, CFAS-D may be triggered by a variety of stimuli and their effects are mediated by aberrations in the cross-talks between redox, NF-κB, and Wnt/catenin signaling pathways leading to dysfunctions in multicellular organismal homeostatic processes.

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202109.0201/v1

Posting mainly because one of the genetic mutations I have affects a cadherin that normally forms a complex with beta-catenin so it seems like it could be relevant to the process being described here.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  2. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a big claim in the title, hopefully the research lives up to it. Many of those components have appeared in me/cfs research over the years - IL-10 is one of the few cytokines that sticks out frequently enough to be a little curious about.

Michelle, Boba and Hutan like this.
  3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That is a complicated and jargon-heavy paper. It's using machine learning to pinpoint the hotspots relating to ME and the related disorders. The authors use the term "chronic fatigue spectrum disorders (CFAS-Ds)", in which they include myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and chronic fatigue (CF). I haven't worked out where the 'A' comes in - maybe 'associated'.

They also appear to define a new term "physiosomatic symptoms" as a pushback against "psychosomatic symptoms", which they argue are not psychogenic. Before reading their complicated findings and discussion, it's probably worth quoting their opening position statements, particularly given that this paper is in a psychiatry journal (my highlights).

They do then get a bit self-referential.

Michelle, Midnattsol, Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

To quote a professor I worked with briefly: "NFkB is seen in everything". Also Wnt. He worked with inflammatory bowel disease and autoimmunity.

Off topic but I really enjoy we have a protein called "Frizzled" here :laugh:

Back on topic: I I do enjoy it when oxidative stress and problems with cell-cell junctions turn up. I don't think it's the whole story, but it's also seen in other chronic conditions. The junctions in the intestinal wall are in theory possible to manipulate through diet, but for the rest of the body it is more difficult (the compounds found in foods that could influence expression and/or localisation of cell junction proteins are not absorbed well, which is why concentration in the gut might become high enough to have an effect on gene expression/portein localisation, but for the rest of the body that just won't happen).

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)