1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A systematic review of mitochondrial abnormalities in ME/CFS/systemic exertion intolerance disease, 2020, Holden et al.

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A systematic review of mitochondrial abnormalities in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome/systemic exertion intolerance disease
    https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-020-02452-3

Philipp, Michelle, spinoza577 and 9 others like this.
  2. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was very disappointed in this review paper. It started off well describing the method and techniques but I felt it lacked substance.

It would have been much more powerful if they had split the review into different topics. There were a lot of metabolomics studies which are not actually studying mitochondria. Even in that topic it is important to split blood metabolomics vs cellular metabolmics ie.. intracellular vs extracellular. Have a separate discussion about that.

One very important study did not make the final round and I don't know why. Item 43, The Stanford Xiannan Wang lab that found energy production was upregulated. This team are considered expert mito researchers. That paper also highlighted that the samples they received were PBMC cells and not in plasma/serum. The cells were put in culture and then treated for a long time.. They concluded that the finding of higher energy might be "more ATP is produced by non-mitochondrial sources.". That is certainly an area that could do with being investigated. They also said "Future studies are warranted to unravel why and how non-mitochondrial ATP production is activated in some patients, which will yield insights into novel strategies to address the pathological causes.". So yes, why not look at the high ATP subset of patients and see what can be learned about them in particular.
    Paper : Elevated energy production in chronic fatigue syndrome patients

I thought the paper was missing a discsussion about the fact that presence of plasma/serum may play a role and finding a way to test the effect of plasma on mitochondria is a good avenue of study to pursue in the future.

They could have discussed new techniques such as the high power optical microscopes that allow real time visualisation of mitochondria.

The general conclusions are useless. Specify which diagnostic criteria to use. We need to look at different cells types and differing techniques until we find a clue, and not just repeat another PBMC Seahorse test. Why not pick low or high ATP groups of patients and do a longitudinal study. Look at the effect on mitochondria in and out of plasma. Lets have formal intracelluar proteomics and metabolomics to see what Mito components are upregulated and downregulated.

3. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just to quantify that statement. This is from the Xinnan Wang Lab website

Lidia, mariovitali, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Authors
    • Sean Holden,
    • Rebekah Maksoud,
    • Natalie Eaton-Fitch,
    • Hélène Cabanas,
    • Donald Staines &
    • Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik
    This paper is from the Griffiths NCNED (Australia) team

Simone, Lidia, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  5. garden

garden Established Member

there are multiple incorrect citations or misattributed findings .... is it appopriate to contact the authors of the review or those who were incorrectly cited/ not cited?

6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see any reason not to send a quick e-mail. It could be worth discussing your concerns with other people first?

Simone, ME/CFS Skeptic and Trish like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)