A qualitative longitudinal study of a health psychological group intervention for patients with ME/CFS 2023, Keurulainen et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

(originally published in Aug 2023)

Abstract
    Objectives
    To explore myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) patients' experiences of a health psychological group intervention and its usefulness, non-usefulness or harmfulness for illness management and adjustment.

Design
    A qualitative longitudinal study using inductive content analysis.

Methods
    Semistructured interviews were conducted with 10 adults. Interviews were conducted before the 16-week intervention, immediately after its completion, and at 3 months after completion.

Results
    Participants reported that the intervention was useful and not harmful. The model improved their ability to cope with ME/CFS by providing them with useful information about the illness along with peer support and professional guidance. Participants reported improved illness management and adjustment, which they perceived as an outcome of achieving new ways of thinking, feeling and acting.

Conclusions
    Participants viewed the health psychological approach to group intervention as meeting their needs. To achieve better illness management and adjustment, more consideration should be given to supportive interactional processes with peers and healthcare professionals.

Patient or Public Contribution
    The intervention was developed to meet patients' needs of finding ways to manage their illness. The research team consulted eight patients with ME/CFS and three clinical centres working with ME/CFS treatment and rehabilitation at the intervention planning stage. Their comments influenced the planning and content of the intervention as well as ethical issues that should be considered, such as potential harm to participants. All participants were informed about the theoretical foundations of the study and the principles guiding the intervention. Participants were not involved in the data analysis.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hex.13833

duncan and Trish like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Meaningless words.

I don't think that exploring is the right word here, when this is basically the most beaten path ever, and it consists of a single loop around itself that so many thousands have followed before it's basically a trench at this point. This is not exploring in any sense of the word.

All this proves is that under so-called evidence-based medicine you can basically do nothing and present it as somehow being useful and effective. Obviously the patients' needs are not being met. It's completely asinine to frame it this way. From the comments, patients have basically adapted to their level of disability, which is the natural thing everyone does. Utter nonsense.

alktipping, John Mac and duncan like this.