1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A new approach to find biomarkers in (CFS/ME) by single-cell Raman micro-spectroscopy, 2018, Morten et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by John Mac, Aug 22, 2018.

1. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So does that mean there is the possibility that ME patients could be tested in the same way that baby's heal prick test is done?
    Hopefully that would mean that all ME patients including bed bound patients could be screened?

andypants, JaimeS and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  2. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That sounds about what I'm taking, @Inara -- but I also take selenium and B vitamins with it, because I want it for dopamine production. In fact, I had to up my B vitamin dose after starting to take tyrosine.

Less hand-shakiness and fewer times my knee gives out and I just must sit. Selenium is a weird and wild supplement, tho, so I'd look it up and consider its many effects before deciding to take. It does sit on the immune system a bit, apparently; and it's involved in the activation of clock genes, so at least I, personally, can't take it any time but first thing in the morning. We're in danger of veering off topic, tho, so if you want to know more about my experience w/it, pls PM me @Inara. :)

3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Inara, adambeyoncelowe, Andy and 3 others like this.
  4. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

MEA Research Summary: The search for biomarkers in ME/CFS using Raman spectroscopy | 06 September 2018

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...s-using-raman-spectroscopy-06-september-2018/

Charlotte Stephens, ME Association, 06 September, 2018.

This is a new pilot study funded by the ME Association Ramsay Research Fund that introduced a relatively new technique and provided for some intriguing results.

“It is becoming clear that metabolic/energetic dysfunction plays a role in ME/CFS. More information is required to determine if these differences are driving the illness or are a consequence of having ME/CFS.

“Single Cell Raman Spectroscopy is an exciting new tool which can give a readout on aspects of intracellular metabolism. Live cells/tissue are not required, which if the approach is successful, will be a major benefit in developing a diagnostic test.”

Dr Karl Morten

About the study

Dr Morten and Prof Wei Huang (Department of Engineering) from Oxford University, attempted to link mitochondrial dysfunction and ME/CFS pathogenesis by comparing the ‘fingerprint’ of a cell model containing no mitochondrial DNA (known as ‘ρ0’) to the ‘fingerprint’ of molecules from the blood cells of ME/CFS patients…

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2018
  5. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s just a five person pilot study. I can’t get excited. The effort in the uk needs to be ramped up substantially to the levels of Norway and about £1m a year at least invested which could happen if the MRC put up ring fenced funds

I hope after this months CMRC conference, if we are let down miserably again the advocacy effort over here will start to apply serious pressure because we can’t just dawdle along like this with an illness this destructive.

Hutan, Sunshine3, andypants and 3 others like this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants, Aroa and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  7. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Ron, Snowdrop, janice and 3 others like this.
  8. Aroa

Aroa Established Member (Voting Rights)

He talks about the phenylalanine pathway being downregulated at 28:25

9. wigglethemouse

wigglethemouse Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish. I remember reading a post recently where you were discussing tracking people at the moment they got ill. This video is about one such study.
    And this is the paper on it by Broderick et al.
    Cytokine expression profiles of immune imbalance in post-mononucleosis chronic fatigue (2012)
    Link : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480896/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    andypants, janice and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Link is working for me atm.

11. janice

janice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This video is really amazing and very exciting to me. Thank you so much Trish for getting this wonderful work out there:)

Aroa likes this.
  12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe and Trish like this.
  13. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Trish do you know date or year of this recording. I haven't listened yet but looking forward to it.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Video description says 2011

Trish likes this.
  15. Sunshine3

Sunshine3 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh....thanks

16. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A lot has happened since this study was published e.g. the (reversible) fragmentation of mitochondria has been demonstrated (Bhupesh Prusty - NIH Conference last month). On the face of it, this method (RAMAN Spectroscopy) could be assessed against other techniques [SeaHorse, nano-needle, mitochondrial shape ---] to see if it gives accurate diagnosis [fewer false negatives/positives]. I think I read somewhere that this technique could be used to test large numbers of samples; that is a requirement of any large scale testing program. To summarise, this looks like a good news story.

I wonder how the cost of this technique would compare to the others e.g. nano-needle?

ME Action are lobbying for the validation/development of a diagnostic test for ME https://www.meaction.net/…/announcing-millionsmissing-2019…/

@EspeMor @JaimeS

Hutan, MeSci, adambeyoncelowe and 3 others like this.
  17. FMMM1

I had a further look at Bhupesh Prusty's presentation at last months NIH Conference [https://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=31640&bhcp=1 (starts around 3 hours 5 minutes)]. Bhupesh demonstrated fragmentation of mitocondria in ME. One of Bhupesh's colleagues at the University of Wuerzburg, Germany, Markus Sauer, measured the shape of the mitochondria (using super-resolution microscopy).

I don't think super-resolution microscopy could be used for routine diagnostic testing for ME i.e. to test large numbers of samples. However, as I stated above, I think I've seen a comment that RAMAN spectroscopy testing can be used to analyse large numbers of samples (automated - routine diagnostic testing for ME).

ME Action are lobbying for EU funding for the development of a diagnostic test for ME. So possibly diagnostic testing could be delivered by using super-resolution microscopy to confirm the validity of this RAMAN spectroscopy method.

The EU seems to be funding research on the the use of super-resolution microscopy in medical research; I found this in a brief search online:
    "Use of the Hermes Super Resolution microscopy system as an image diagnostic tool to detect and study cancer sample"

https://ec.europa.eu/…/use-hermes-super-resolution-microsco…

@EspeMor @JaimeS

ukxmrv, MeSci and Andy like this.
  18. FMMM1

Hi, can someone provide a link to the full paper? I think I read that this method is suitable for automation i.e. routine diagnostic testing. However, I can't find the reference - it may be in the full paper. Thanks.

andypants and Andy like this.
  19. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Try https://sci-hub.se/10.1039/C8AN01437J

20. FMMM1