1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Concurrent Cognitive Task Does Not Perturb Quiet Standing in Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 2018, Stensdotter et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access at https://www.hindawi.com/journals/prm/2018/9014232/

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was about to post this myself, but saw that @Andy had already done it.

One of the authors, Egil Fors, is known for a psychosomatic approach to ME and have claimed things like: With a diagnosis as ME, it is easy to believe one is sick and thus choose benefits"

From an interview with a women's magazine a year ago (my translation)
    Functional disorders, also called complex disorders, is the collective term for several diagnoses that don't fit into the division between physiological and psychological illnesses, as fibromyalgia, whiplash and chronic fatigue syndrome.
    - We who work with this believe it is a bit old-fashioned to divide illness and suffering. These conditions are biopsychosocial illnesses, which is a combination of biological, social and psychological factors, says Fors.

I am not sure if this study suggests he is about to change his mind. Probably not.

Luther Blissett, Wonko, inox and 6 others like this.
  3. Kalliope

4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

With a diagnosis of MS, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, etc it is easy to believe one is sick and thus choose benefits. So ME is no different in this regard.

What they really want to say is that ME is not a real illness.

5. Kalliope

6. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Randome quote:

Muddled brain, tried to find anything about severity of patients?

Not surprising, this test didn't give those results. Had they repeated the test a second day, I'm sure the result would be different. The partispants probably was rested and as well as they could showing up at the lab.

I've fallen over, trying to talk and walk at the same time, when very ill. But for years with less symptoms burden that didn't happen.

andypants and Luther Blissett like this.
  7. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And they used Fukuda-criteria, so patients selection may not be representative.

andypants and Luther Blissett like this.