1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

A comprehensive review of approaches to detect fatigue using machine learning techniques, 2021, Hooda

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Dolphin, Aug 28, 2021.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095882X21000487

Chronic Diseases and Translational Medicine
    Available online 25 August 2021

Review
    A comprehensive review of approaches to detect fatigue using machine learning techniques

Rohit Hoodaa Vedant Joshib MananShahc
    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cdtm.2021.07.002

open access

Abstract

In the past decades, there have been numerous advancements in the field of technology.

This has led to many scientific breakthroughs in the field of medical sciences.

In this, rapidly transforming world we are having a difficult time and the problem of fatigue is becoming prevalent.

So, this study aimed to understand what is fatigue, its repercussions, and techniques to detect it using machine learning (ML) approaches.

This paper introduces, discusses methods and recent advancements in the field of fatigue detection.

Further, we categorized the methods that can be used to detect fatigue into four diverse groups, i.e., Mathematical Models, Rule-Based Implementation, ML and Deep Learning.

This study presents, compares and contrasts various algorithms to find the most promising approach that can be used for the detection of fatigue.

Finally, the paper discusses the possible areas for improvement.

Keywords
    Fatigue detection
    Machine learning
    Deep learning
    Driver monitoring
    Healthcare

Peter Trewhitt and Sean like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This discusses objective measures for measuring fatigue
    Overview of all the machine learning methodologies for fatigue detection.PNG

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yawning being there suggests a typical misunderstanding of fatigue as sleepiness.

4. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Since yawns are contagious, does that mean that fatigue is? :yawn:

I'm surprised that they didn't use muscle movements or posture as features. I'd expect frequency and speed of movements to decrease with fatigue.

My question is: how did they determine the accuracy of their fatigue quantification when there's no known way of accurately measuring fatigue to compare it to?