1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Trial Report A Case Report of Chronic Epipharyngitis With Chronic Fatigue Treated With Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy (EAT), 2024, Hirobumi

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.cureus.com/articles/226...ed-with-epipharyngeal-abrasive-therapy-eat#!/

A Case Report of Chronic Epipharyngitis With Chronic Fatigue Treated With Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy (EAT)

Ito Hirobumi

Published: February 23, 2024

DOI: 10.7759/cureus.54742

Peer-Reviewed
    Cite this article as: Hirobumi I (February 23, 2024) A Case Report of Chronic Epipharyngitis With Chronic Fatigue Treated With Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy (EAT). Cureus 16(2): e54742. doi:10.7759/cureus.54742

Abstract

A case of myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) with chronic epipharyngitis was treated with epipharyngeal abrasive therapy (EAT).

The symptoms of ME/CFS improved along with the improvement of chronic epipharyngitis.

The patient was followed up with endocrine and autonomic function tests.

Endocrine function tests included salivary cortisol and salivary α-amylase activity.

Salivary α-amylase activity was stimulated by EAT. EAT improved the diurnal variability of salivary cortisol secretion.

Autonomic function tests included heart rate variability analysis by orthostatic stress test.

EAT normalized parasympathetic and sympathetic reflexes over time and regulated autonomic balance.

Based on the improvement of symptoms and test results, EAT was considered effective for ME/CFS.

A literature review was conducted on the mechanism of the therapeutic effect of EAT on ME/CFS.

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt and Kitty like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I routinely see this in the wild in the LC community. Seems very invasive and not especially convincing. About on par with HBOT and acupuncture, frankly. In terms of how often it's discussed.

5. glennthefrog

glennthefrog Established Member (Voting Rights)

this is how my ME started, with Epipharyngitis. That place in my body still hurts to this day, but as expected, no doctor has ever cared about it. Maybe I should insist....

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.