1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Autonomic Nervous System Regulation Effects of Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy for ME/CFS Associated With Chronic Epipharyngitis 2023 Hirobumi

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: Autonomic Nervous System Regulation Effects of Epipharyngeal Abrasive Therapy for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Associated With Chronic Epipharyngitis

Abstract

Objective: To evaluate the autonomic nerve stimulation effect of epipharyngeal abrasive therapy (EAT) on myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) associated with chronic epipharyngitis. Heart rate variability analysis was performed. The study was conducted by analyzing heart rate variability.

Subjects and methods: A total of 29 patients with chronic epipharyngitis who underwent EAT from July 2017 to April 2018 were classified into two groups: 11 patients in the CFS group and 18 patients in the control group without CFS. The patients were classified as phase 1 during bed rest, phase 2 during nasal endoscopy, phase 3 during nasal abrasion, and phase 4 during oral abrasion. Electrocardiographic recordings were made, and autonomic function was compared and evaluated by measuring heart rate, coefficient of variation on R-R interval (CVRR), coefficient of component variance high frequency (ccvHF), and low frequency/ccvHF ratio (L/H) for each of the four phases. The Shapiro-Wilk test was performed to confirm the normality of the two groups, and the parametric test was selected. A repeated measures analysis of variance was performed to assess changes over time between the four events in the two groups. Multiple comparisons were corrected by the Bonferroni method. Comparisons between resting data and three events within each group were performed by paired t-test.

Results: The CFS group had an increased baseline heart rate compared to the control group, and the CFS group had a greater increase in parasympathetic activity and a decrease in heart rate with nasal abrasion. Oral abrasion elicited a pharyngeal reflex and increased heart rate and both sympathetic and parasympathetic activity.

Conclusion: The CFS group was in a state of dysautonomia due to autonomic overstimulation, with an elevated baseline heart rate. The CFS group was considered to be in a state of impaired autonomic homeostasis, with an increased likelihood that overstimulation would induce a pathological vagal reflex and the Reilly phenomenon would develop. The direct effects of EAT on the autonomic nervous system were considered to be vagus nerve stimulation and the regulation of autonomic function by opposing stimulation input to sympathetic and parasympathetic nerves. As an indirect effect, bleeding from the epipharyngeal mucosa due to abrasion was thought to restore the function of the cerebral venous and lymphatic excretory systems and the autonomic nerve center.

Open access, https://www.cureus.com/articles/132...ndrome-associated-with-chronic-epipharyngitis

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That doesn't seem like a diagnosis of ME/CFS.

3. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

See James Reilly and the autonomic nervous system A prophet unheeded? (Annals of The Royal College of Surgeons of England, 1978)

4. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a procedure that I would ever partake in….sounds aversive and painful….

The autonomic dysregulation, increased vagal tone has been around since the 80’s, this was part of the biomedical thinking for ME (later CFS) I can think of better ways to lowering sympathetic drive by very simple means e.g. deep abdominal breathing

Some surgeons in the 80’s were worse gaslighters than psychiatry around chronic illness and “psychosomatic” disorders, eg. Crohn’s disease, which they saw as all female patients had personality problems despite the obvious pathology and distress from symptoms.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023