1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

30th Nov: Cochrane 'have not approved publication of the [Larun] re‐submission' - but old version not withdrawn either.

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by NelliePledge, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems to me there is a lot of "politics" going on behind the scenes on this one...

2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Some of the cochrane board seem to be rather new additions. I wonder if this is what is at least partly responsible for the growing divide.

3. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry don't know if Vink sent his paper to Cochrane. If I remember his paper correctly it was an analysis of the current Cochrane review highlighting the problems with it, rather than bringing in more recent literature literature. Have I understood your question properly? My brain isn't at all good today.

4. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://healthycontrolblog.wordpres...CtPVvDWlKd1Ar11w3nzsMp9_V6FtjB5BUj5isZuRCtHhU

Very good from Caroline Struthers

My complaint to the Cochrane Governing Board about the Cochrane review of Exercise for chronic fatigue syndrome
    Caroline Struthers Uncategorized November 29, 2018 5 Minutes

After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and fruitless correspondence with the Cochrane Editorial Unit by me and many others over years, I was asked yesterday to submit a summary of my complaint about this review to the Governing Board of Cochrane. This is it.

5. benji

benji Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I see it has been posted and discussed already. Sorry, I thought it was new.

6. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Better twice than not at all :).

7. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

1. Publicly declare that somebody has given in to the anti-science mob
    2. Enjoy newspaper coverage in your favour
    3. Submit work to person in (1)
    4. Wonder why person in (1) might now be a bit more sceptical than before
    5. ???
    6. Profit

The usual long term planning we all know and love.

8. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

We can only hope that Cochrane are taking this approach of small steps in good faith. It is very British for change to happen in small increments rather than Big Bang. Given the pressures no doubt being applied by the BPS mafia going in small steps and giving the authors opportunity to correct means Cochrane can push back saying you should have taken full advantage of those opportunities. Hopefully blunting the BPS mafia onslaught. If the mafia claim withdrawal is detrimental to the authors reputations well they were the ones jumping the gun before they’d even resubmitted by publicising it through Reuter’s.

If this is being done genuinely by Cochrane possibly the best outcome Larun & co can hope for is to agree the review is “out of date” and accept withdrawal and a fresh review by a new team. This could be announced in a relatively low key way and may not draw much press interest. For their reputations resisting withdrawal and risking unilateral withdrawal could be seriously shooting themselves in the foot. A managed retreat or a last ditch defense.

Forbin, Sly Saint, Barry and 13 others like this.
  9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This blog was referenced on a recent email from Cochrane. It's from the time of their Sep 2018 conference in Edinburgh.

http://www.evidentlycochrane.net/9663-2/

The interviewee has MS and has a key role at NIHR and the interviewer is from Mental Elf!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ladycatlover and MEMarge like this.
  12. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This strategy can be far more effective when faced with very potent opposition. The point is that with each small advance, you dig in and consolidate and hold that ground. One all or nothing offensive is very high risk, and is the sort of thing the BPS opposition are very adroit at counteracting. I think this approach might be giving them some sleepless nights.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Liessa, obeat, Daisymay and 8 others like this.
  13. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Feedback submitted from Mark Vink
    The studies in the review do not provide any evidence that graded exercise therapy is safe, on the other hand, patient evidence and the literature show that it is not safe.

Cochrane replies:
    The Editor in Chief is currently holding discussions with colleagues and the author team to determine a series of steps that will lead to a full update of this review. Your feedback will be considered as part of this process so that it can inform future versions of the review. These discussions will be concluded as soon as possible.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1070369216581300224

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    rvallee, MEMarge, Sly Saint and 14 others like this.
  14. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@Mark Vink comment and reply as linked in the tweet above.
    https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cds....pub7/detailed-comment/en?messageId=160462657

rvallee, MEMarge, Amw66 and 8 others like this.
  15. dave30th

dave30th Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is my hope and assumption of what is going on. we'll see soon!

Liessa, MEMarge, Amw66 and 14 others like this.
  16. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member