1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BMJ columnist Margaret McCartney sums up her content

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sly Saint, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also liked:

9. If it’s not evidence based it might as well be homeopathy.

20. We should aim not to “raise awareness” but to improve knowledge.

28. False promise increases with the opportunity for profit.

andypants, Barry, Lisa108 and 7 others like this.
  3. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A problem is the BPS lot have made CBT GET superficially seem the only evidence based medicine for CFS

TigerLilea, cyclamen, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  4. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now there's a sound bite if ever there was :).

5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

I really liked Margaret McCartney's column and have respect for her, she seems like a great GP, but sadly she at one time supported the bollocksology of BPS brigade & ME, she wrote a poorly informed article in FT some years ago, in 2008. I guess I was especially disappointed as she is a Glasgow doctor and I spent many years in Glasgow in 1980s/90s, studied there, was dxd there etc...

Her FT article in 2008:

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2008/03/article-in-the-financial-times/

Responses to her article from Neil Riley, Dr Shepherd of MEA - and 25% group::

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...r-me-sufferers-letter-in-the-financial-times/

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/2008/03/responses-to-financial-times-article/

https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...tions-about-me-letter-in-the-financial-times/

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I am afraid her list of calling outs looks pretty tame to me. And where it counts, off target.

Hutan, Barry, Invisible Woman and 4 others like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hutan, Sly Saint, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  8. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

She also appeared on this edition of Inside health to talk about outcome switching with Carl Heneghan, Professor of Evidence Based Medicine at the University Oxford: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0901fr4

I wrote to Heneghan after the programme to ask if he had looked into the PACE trial. No reply. And no reply to my follow up. Perhaps @Brian Hughes would have more luck engaging him.

I think I decided against writing to McCartney after reading some of her views on ME/CFS. It’s a shame as she seems to talk a lot of sense in other areas.

[Edited to add link to programme]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  10. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Yes, I did try to engage with her - politely, of course - several times on Twitter, but never got a response, so can only think she has made up her mind. She also, I recall, did a radio prog with Edinburgh neuropsychiatrist Dr Carson, whose expertise is in functional disorders and who was also fan of PACE. i am not sure if he has changed his mind on PACE, we clashed on Twitter a long time ago and I don't engage with him any more, I find such exchanges too upsetting. He was I believe trained by Prof Sharpe, so not much one can say or do to change views and when you try you are labelled as militant.

11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of Ben Goldacre - talks a lot of sense, but has a blindspot when it comes to ME/CFS.

12. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from that article in the Independent (2012)
    "Dr William Weir, a retired consultant physician,.., called the decision "almost satirical". "If the scientific data is properly examined it will be seen that Professor Wessely's doctrine is wrong and it will be proved to be wrong in about five years' time," he said.

spot on there.

eta:
    Just spotted a strange quote in that article:
    "Sir Ralph Kohn FRS of the Kohn Foundation, which contributed to the prize said: "This is such a well-deserved recognition of John's outstanding scientific work for many years and we are privileged to be associated with this initiative."
    who's John(?)

13. Jonathan Edwards

This has been noted before. Kohn was so familiar with 'John's' great work that he had forgotten his actual name.

Lisa108, EzzieD, Andy and 3 others like this.
  14. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Is this not a reference to John Maddox, since Wessely was joint recipient of the inaugural prize in 2012...?

'The Prize is a joint initiative of the science journal Nature, the Kohn Foundation, and the charity Sense about Science. The late Sir John Maddox, FRS, was editor of Nature for 22 years and a founding trustee of Sense about Science.'

Lisa108 and Invisible Woman like this.
  15. Jonathan Edwards

My memory of the original text is that it seems to refer to Wessely. It may be simply that Kohn made a slip in confusing the two names. I don't think it is material.

Invisible Woman likes this.