1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

2024: USA NIH NINDS ME/CFS Research Roadmap - input on research priorities sought by 11 March 2024

Discussion in 'Advocacy Projects and Campaigns' started by Dolphin, Feb 1, 2024.

1. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forgot to add "Gut-Immune-Metabolic Interplay in ME/CFS - Armin Alaedini, PhD; Columbia University"
    Some of Armin's immunological results seemed to be statistically significant & counterintuitive (response leaky gut?).
    Overall I thought there was a lot more:
    1) evidence to work from [e.g. immunological data presented by Hanson & Armin]; and
    2) tools to apply - high end immunology (single cell work); and Raman spectroscopy. Big gaps in metabolomics too.

Kitty, Binkie4 and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  2. FMMM1

Idiot - I missed the deadline!

"
    Thank you for your feedback, ---. IdeaScale closed at 5:00 pm ET yesterday, so your comments were not added to IdeaScale. They will be included in the information that goes to the Working Group of Council as they finalize the report for the NINDS leadership and Advisory Council.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!

Best wishes,

Vicky"

Kitty, Peter Trewhitt and Binkie4 like this.
  3. FMMM1

Oh, I think I understand, my mistake - original deadline was Friday 5 pm ET/10pm GMT - your clocks changed over the weekend, so the new deadline was Monday 5 pm ET i.e. 9pm GMT.

4. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too received the email

"Thank you for your feedback, ...... IdeaScale closed at 5:00 pm ET yesterday, so your comments were not added to IdeaScale. They will be included in the information that goes to the Working Group of Council as they finalize the report for the NINDS leadership and Advisory Council.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback!"

Am very pleased that anything is going forward. I haven't grasped what the Working Group of Council is doing, what its role is, and am too fatigued currently to look it up. It's all felt a muddle to me because my focus was on the NIH intramural study.

Kitty, FMMM1, Hutan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I got this very nice reply to my suggestion that they extend the deadline on the process:

So, further feedback can be sent to MECFSResearchRoadmap@ninds.nih.gov over the next week or so.

6. FMMM1

Interesting - did you have "special circumstances" (apologies you may have explained already)?
    I think the pragmatic approach they're adopting with you is good - I'd like to have the same!

Kitty, Simon M and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Hutan

No, I wasn't claiming individual special circumstances. I think anyone can send feedback in.

Kitty, Simon M, FMMM1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Paraprosdokian

Paraprosdokian Established Member

I'm not sure to what extent likes will impact the working group's report, but you can still like ideas and comment on them. This may be a good way to amplify the signal for good ideas - but only if you have the energy to engage with the system. You can like an idea once a day.

Kitty, FMMM1, Lilas and 2 others like this.
  9. FMMM1

OK - you don't mind if I highlight that they [NIH] have offered to do this?

10. Hutan

I'm not sure about putting it out on twitter, I'm not sure about their capacity to cope with lots of submissions. Maybe just leave it here?
    Or, contact Vicky to clarify?

Kitty, Simon M, FMMM1 and 3 others like this.
  11. FMMM1

I received this reply from NIH/Vicky* - not actually surprised i.e. it's consistent with my impression of Vicky - pragmatism +++. Hopefully I'll be pleased by the recommended options!

Not sure I'll try to add anything since I've sort of covered immune stuff by reference to Maureen Hanson's talk -

*"Hi Francis,

You feedback will be included along with all the feedback we received on IdeaScale. No worries and thank you!

Vicky"

@Simon M

12. Simon M

Simon M Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks @Hutan , Do you just submit the suggestion or A rationale as well?

13. Hutan

I don't think they are looking for detailed rationales. Maybe just a suggestion and a sentence or two and a link to one or two relevant papers as background?

14. FMMM1

Good idea i.e. there may be circumstances where it's useful to highlight the rational for a particular suggestion.

Kitty, Simon M, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  15. FMMM1

Folks - my request for - whole genome sequence/rare variant study looks like a larger version of this family study by Fereshteh Jahanbani - https://www.omf.ngo/molecular-underpinnings/ & NIH webinar titled - "Characterizing the Genetic Basis of ME/CFS through Case-Control and Family Studies, Fereshteh Jahaniani, PhD. Stanford Varuna Chander, PhD"
    Similarly, my request for better metabolomics data would logically be part of a larger genetic family study.

Grateful if you'd consider cross referencing Fereshteh's family study in your responses to NIH.

Thanks

16. FMMM1

I watched Dr. Shuzhao Li (associate professor investigator - Jackson Laboratory) presentation metabolism webinar "The interplay between Metabolism and immunology in ME/CFS" [https://event.roseliassociates.com/me-cfs-research-roadmap/recordings/].
    The summary slide (50 minutes from start) states "Dysregulation involves microbiome and xenobiotics".

I think I recall @Jonathan Edwards saying that potentially T Cells function is tolerance of food*? Anyway, thought occurred that perhaps T Cell responses are to "microbiome and Xenobiotics" - basically leaky gut?

*Perhaps I was misinterpreting this post or there was other one(?) -
    "Coeliac is unique in that it has a T cell response to a foreign antigen that should be tolerated as food and an autoreactive B cell response (no autoreactive T cells as far as I know)."
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/scien...oimmune-patients-are-women.37098/#post-513706

Simon M and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  17. FMMM1

Need to look at this presentation again, but I think the speaker highlighted the:
    • poor metabolic coverage - currently most of the data is from Metabolon* [1000 metabolites?];
    • fact that the immunological data could be better - didn't include the newer technologies
    On the plus side that would appear to provide opportunities - particularly if GWAS [DecodeME] doesn't pan out.
    https://www.metabolon.com/

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  18. Hutan

I managed to send something in yesterday, a list of studies I'd like to see and a list of research characteristics that I don't want to see (the Walitt et al paper featured heavily as an illustration of various research characteristics that I don't want to see). It was inadequate, other stuff to do...

I think an email to the email address mentioned above could be one way to express concern about the NIH intramural study, by highlighting the things about it that we don't want to see happening again. Something short would do the job. (Keeping in mind that there has been no indication that Vicky of NIH is part of the problem, and actually she has been very kind in offering flexibility about the feedback deadline.)

rvallee, Lilas, Trish and 4 others like this.