1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

“Chronic fatigue syndrome - the 'missing people' enigma” - Australian news article

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Simone, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Simone

Simone Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Excerpt from this article which appeared in a Australian mainstream newspaper today, to publicise the release of the findings of Emerge’s Health and Welfare patient survey.

“Controversially, some Australian doctors are still prescribing a type of exercise treatment no longer recommended by the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, which warned exercise programs for patients who cannot tolerate basic activities can be counterproductive and even harmful.

But Dr Nicholl said the controversy around exercise therapy served to highlight the absence of effective treatments. “And … it really comes from this discredited model that it is a psychosocial disease, where it is all in the mind,” she said.

The Emerge Australia survey found that exercise made people feel worse in almost 90 per cent of cases.”

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...he-missing-people-enigma-20180929-p506u6.html

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...he-missing-people-enigma-20180929-p506u6.html

Woolie, ahimsa, Squeezy and 26 others like this.
  2. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Pretty good article, all up.

Though the use of the word schedule might imply that we can somehow plan our way through it.

Many people with chronic fatigue syndrome instead use a technique called “pacing”, where they schedule their activities between extended periods of rest in an attempt to avoid crashing out.

3. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take your point, but I think the technique of pacing that PwME use is extremely difficult for the rest of the population to understand, because it is really quite a subtle skill. Given that, I don't think use of the word "schedule" gives that much of a negative message.

Squeezy, MEMarge, lafarfelue and 2 others like this.
  4. Seven

Seven Senior Member (Voting Rights)

please click to give traffic to good reporters so they do more articles pls!

Barry, Squeezy, Sean and 5 others like this.
  5. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks

Barry and MEMarge like this.
  6. BruceInOz

BruceInOz Senior Member (Voting Rights)

All the comments are positive.

andypants, Squeezy, AndyPandy and 3 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Agree with @Barry i feel like in order to attempt to pace I really have to schedule activity and rest time as I would have scheduled meetings travel etc when I was working. Doesn’t mean I stick to it tho but stops me having too much on over a week.

Woolie, andypants, Squeezy and 4 others like this.