1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Winter Hill’ Film Premiere in ME Awareness Week May 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Sly Saint, May 4, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from MEA website
    https://www.meassociation.org.uk/20...lm-premiere-in-me-awareness-week-03-may-2019/

on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCf6lnzO5KQ

2. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

watched this last week. very well-done short film.

Hutan, ladycatlover, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  3. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Don’t mean to be critical any one else struggling with the image flickering and going up and down is that meant to represent cognitive issues with ?ME I had to stop watching.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

@NelliePledge I had the same problem. I can't watch so much flickery or wobbly camera shots. I tried skipping forward a few times and watching different bits of it. It's not all like that. The other problem I had was music over a soft voice so I found it hard to hear the words.

I suspect for a healthy person to watch it is a moving and powerful evocation of someone struggling with ME, but I'm afraid I can't watch it either.

Hutan, ladycatlover, JaneL and 3 others like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

@Trish I get blurry eyes to an extent if I’ve been online too long but I can watch hours of TV only very occasionally get any type of sensory overload so I was a bit surprised how bad that was.

6. aza

aza Established Member (Voting Rights)

Couldn’t watch it either, but I have listened to it. Her voice is very soothing. Thanks @Sly Saint for posting!

Hutan, ladycatlover, JaneL and 2 others like this.
  7. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just watched - bit too arty farty for me :oops:, I didn't really see the point of close ups of fingers waggling over bright lights and that kind of stuff. I hated the music, just really monotonous, but that was probably the point? I too found the quiet voice over the loud music difficult to take in. Missed a lot of what she said.

Just tried the first few minutes again with the auto subtitles, but they don't work particularly well - some quite laughable words coming out!

I feel bad that I didn't like it more. :alien:

8. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I also desperately wanted to like it...but like others found the music particularly bad (depressing but also irritatingly plinky plonky). I looked at it occasionally but mainly looked away and listened to her voice and tried to ignore the music.

I’m unsure what sort of reaction healthy people will have to it.....it’s quite a tall ask to wade through 15 min of difficult to see and hear stuff and not much at the end. I expect a lot of people will not get it or perhaps think it’s all about depression (just the feel you get from it...dark, miserable etc.)
    Sorry for such a bad review...I know it’s a hard subject to portray.

9. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Well I liked it. Healthy people will be able to watch it without any issues, and some of them will like the London Grammar style soundtrack. I really enjoy listening to depressing music and found it a fitting accompaniment - it's not as if there's a lack of jolly stuff for happy people to watch on youtube if that's what they'd prefer. I found it quite moving, reflective and insightful.

Hutan, Little Bluestem, Trish and 2 others like this.
  10. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well it was an art student's project. ;)
    I couldn't watch it because my dial-up connection is too slow.

Trish and ladycatlover like this.