1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

‘I can hardly breathe’: Exploring the parental experience of having a child with a functional disorder, 2019, Hulgaard et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Dolphin, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

When psychopaths take over the asylum.

Lisa108, ladycatlover and rvallee like this.
  2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that, if given such advice, I would insist upon having it in writing, making clear that it would be produced in evidence, if necessary.

3. 2kidswithME

2kidswithME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Chilling advice to tell parents not to trust their instincts. Wise medical practitioners know to listen to the parents concerns, not teach them to ignore them. Has no one considered the potential harm in this?!

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It seems pretty clear that those review committees only exist to protect institutions. They have no interest in ethical concerns about patient safety. It's 100% about what could be liable, what is legal, not what is ethical.

As is tradition, though, this will be an own goal as it basically implicates the ethical review process itself in greenlighting clearly unethical acts by researchers. It shows the process is wholly incapable of protecting the public from itself.

I guess an ethical review panel system is required to make sure the ethical review panel process is itself ethical.

Then of course you need an ethical review panel system to make sure the ethical review panel process overseeing the ethical review pan...

Sean, DokaGirl, NelliePledge and 2 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seriously, this is monstrous. It paints genuine concern and love for their child as irrational. This is exactly the kind of people who sign papers for executing the "undesirables" when circumstances encourage it.

6. Denise

Denise Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I too have wondered if the harm of telling parents not to trust their instincts and not to trust their children has been thoroughly considered.
    Adolescence is difficult enough so counseling parents not to trust their kids makes it that much harder for the young people and for their parents!
    What a disservice to families!

7. Ruth

Ruth Established Member (Voting Rights)

As a parent carer, I suggest that this study is an abominable abuse of parents, and that reading it risks engendering serious fear and trauma, as it quotes verbatum in graphic detail, forcing parents to harm their children.

It should be prefaced with a trigger warning for other parents when shared. I could hardly breathe, myself, reading it. Truly sickening.