1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

‘Disgusting’ study rating attractiveness of women with endometriosis retracted by medical journal (2020)

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Cheshire, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

https://www.theguardian.com/society..._medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1596614249

Leonid Schneider's take on this

Undress, the doctors will see you now
    https://forbetterscience.com/2019/08/15/undress-the-doctors-will-see-you-now/

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

One can only hope that this was a study to see what peer reviewers would accept and journals publish.

3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, this is really cringey and shows the long history of misogony in this illness..

I remember having come across hypotheses that connected endometriosis to attractiveness due to higher estrogen levels (estrogen is "feeding" endo). But there's no proof at all and it doesn't add any value to diagnosis and treatment.

That's what studies should focus on, what a waste of time and money and what a shame the paper was accepted in the first place let alone the unethical setting..

Edit: And I see female names being authors, how can they participate in this?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  6. Oni

Oni Established Member (Voting Rights)

A surreal and nauseating affair.

While the study has been retracted, no formal apology has been given to the participants. This is likely to happen again.

7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had both kinds of endometriosis - maybe they would have included me in one group on a bad hair day and in the other group on a good hair day.

8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No, it doesn't. It doesn't even add to academic knowledge of the disease. Complete waste of funds. This is an abuse of the role of gynaecologist and researcher.

What's more, it makes one question - all those women who gave intimate details to these guys in the hopes of getting help. All that pain, suffering & heartache and still they see fit to do this. Shameful.

History is littered with women who collude with the abuse, manipulation and control of other women. In seeking to improve or maintain their own status, to be "other" than the women kept in place they can be as abusive as men.

One chap argues the study is okay because some of the evaluators are women. No. It's abuse regardless of whether the abuser is male or female. Those women are as bad, if not worse, than the men because their actions say it's okay to behave like this to other women, just not to me.

9. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a friend who is a doctor who has endometriosis. I wonder what docsnet is saying about this.

10. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forget asking about symptoms or doing medical examinations - eye measure hip to waist ratio and creepily ask your young patient about
    first intercourse. There you got your diagnosis. :thumbsup: