Your immune system makes its own antiviral drug − and it’s likely one of the most ancient, Neil Marsh Professor of Chemistry and Biological Chemistry

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by darrellpf, Oct 11, 2023.

1. darrellpf

darrellpf Established Member (Voting Rights)

"Antiviral drugs are generally considered to be a 20th century invention. But recent research has uncovered an unexpected facet to your immune system: It can synthesize its own antiviral molecules in response to viral infections.

My laboratory studies a protein that makes these natural antiviral molecules. Far from a modern human invention, nature evolved cells to make their own “drugs” as the earliest defense against viruses."

https://theconversation.com/your-im...and-its-likely-one-of-the-most-ancient-211651

Good overview of the process of viral replication

EzzieD, boolybooly, MeSci and 8 others like this.
  2. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if it would be possible to assay the enzyme or its product to assess how much of an innate antiviral response any individual is mounting.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The title seems a bit precious. As far as I am concerned the immune system was always defined as an anti-viral pharmacy.

FMMM1, Wonko, MEMarge and 1 other person like this.
  4. boolybooly

boolybooly Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Ricky Gervais nailed it with the 'chubby bat'.

But I am interested by this because I am looking for reasons why muscle building seemed to stop happening for me when ME started.

My muscles would ache after use but they would not get stronger as they did before, still don't.

It struck me this kind of thing might interfere with host protein synthesis from mRNA as well as viral RNA. Just a thought.

Trish likes this.