1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga is effective in treating symptoms of Gulf War illness: A randomized clinical trial Hayley,Younger et al 2021

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Jaybee00, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yoga!—Jared Younger
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0022395620310839

Abstract
    Many Veterans of the 1990–1991 Gulf War report symptoms of Gulf War Illness, a condition involving numerous chronic symptoms including pain, fatigue, and mood/cognition symptoms. Little is known about this condition's etiology and treatment. This study reports outcomes from a randomized controlled single-blind trial comparing yoga to cognitive behavioral therapy for chronic pain and other symptoms of Gulf War Illness. Participants were Veterans with symptoms of GWI: chronic pain, fatigue and cognition-mood symptoms. Seventy-five Veterans were randomized to treatment via selection of envelopes from a bag (39 yoga, 36 cognitive behavioral therapy), which consisted of ten weekly group sessions.

The primary outcomes of pain severity and interference (Brief Pain Inventory- Short Form) improved in the yoga condition (Cohen's d = .35, p = 0.002 and d = 0.69, p < 0.001, respectively) but not in the CBT condition (d = 0.10, p = 0.59 and d = 0.25 p = 0.23). However, the differences between groups were not statistically significant (d = 0.25, p = 0.25; d = 0.43, p = 0.076), though the difference in an a-priori-defined experimental outcome variable which combines these two variables into a total pain variable (d = 0.47, p = 0.047) was significant.

Fatigue, as indicated by a measure of functional exercise capacity (6-min walk test) was reduced significantly more in the yoga group than in the CBT group (between-group d = .27, p = 0.044). Other secondary outcomes of depression, wellbeing, and self-reported autonomic nervous system symptoms did not differ between groups. No adverse events due to treatment were reported.

Yoga may be an effective treatment for core Gulf War Illness symptoms of pain and fatigue, making it one of few treatments with empirical support for GWI. Results support further evaluation of yoga for treating veterans with Gulf War Illness.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2022
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Well, it's nice to have evidence that CBT is useless. The stats in the abstract that led to the conclusion of yoga being helpful are underwhelming.

Sean, Snow Leopard, DokaGirl and 15 others like this.
  3. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's probably helpful in the way that sucking sherbet lemons is helpful for ME. They taste nice and take your mind off it for a bit.

alex3619, Sean, DokaGirl and 14 others like this.
  4. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Indeed, I guess that's quite a useful outcome.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why Jarred Younger would spend time on a study like this, although he is just one of 20 co-authors, and does not appear to have been a key one.

I don't have access to the paper, but from the abstract, it looks as though the study has the problem we have come to expect from CBT and exercise intervention studies - subjective outcomes combined with unblinded treatments.

Some of the co-authors have a history of affiliation with yoga. One has their institution listed as the International Association of Yoga Therapists. The heath care facility involved in this study was previously involved in other related studies:
    Results from a clinical yoga program for veterans: Yoga via telehealth provides comparable satisfaction and health improvements to in-person yoga(Article)(Open Access);
    Clinical yoga program utilization in a large health care system
    and there is significant overlap in authors, including the first author. In a very cursory look, I didn't find any association with CBT. I don't think it is possible to say that the authors had equipoise with respect to the two treatments.

It would be interesting to know how many participants dropped out in each arm, and what selection process was used to find the participants. That is, how many veterans were offered the chance to participate, and how many chose to do so.

The 6 minute walk test is not a useful or objective measure of fatigue in people with a mild to moderate level of fatigue - there is too much scope for motivation to affect results.

@Haveyoutriedyoga - this one's for you.

5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't help but wonder, in a disorganised way, if replacing every occurence of the word 'yoga', with the word 'haggis' would in any way bar such 'research' from being published, or cause it to have less meaningful results?

Obviously I couldn't organise such a thing, but...LOL

ETA - although....I would expect tele-haggis to have less of an effect than in-person haggis.

6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Let’s hope he doesn’t get approached by researchers who want to promote the alleged benefits of eating kale, or getting some fresh air or other such ‘helpful’ suggestions :whistle:

oldtimer, DokaGirl, mango and 6 others like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank god for the BPS. I try to stay away from Yoga Centres because of the high concentration of Tai Chi masters and yoga teachers, they have it in for me.

If I had a dime for every time I walked by a pair of Lulu lemons, Sweaty Betties...I'd have Boba for life

8. LarsSG

LarsSG Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Someone needs to invent sham yoga, so these trials have something to use as a placebo treatment. Just a random sequence of randomly-generated body positions at the same tempo as a yoga session, but with the same vaguely spiritual veneer.

oldtimer, Sean, Forbin and 3 others like this.
  9. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

They have. It's called pilates.

oldtimer, Sean, Snow Leopard and 4 others like this.
  10. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:laugh::thumbup::)

oldtimer likes this.
  11. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like yoga. And, used to do it.

But, it seems to be BPSy. Or, BPS-like.
    I never delved into it that far, but knew someone who did. They thought ME was BS.

oldtimer and shak8 like this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Half the patients could get yoga... and the other half would get Yoda.

yoda.jpg

13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

A clear and concise description of the 'benefits' of most psycho-behavioural therapies.

rvallee, shak8, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No problem. Its called online ordering.

Wonko, Trish, oldtimer and 1 other person like this.
  15. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

And as for the costs - sherbets erode your tooth enamel while many of the psycho-behavioural therapies erode your sense of self.

mango, NelliePledge, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  16. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was just about to suggest similar - replace "yoga" with "water" and I suspect similar results

Hutan, shak8, Trish and 1 other person like this.