Trial Report Worsening Symptoms Is Associated with Larger Cerebral Blood Flow Abnormalities during Tilt-Testing in ME/CFS, 2023, van Campen

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Dolphin, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mdpi.com/1648-9144/59/12/2153

Worsening Symptoms Is Associated with Larger Cerebral Blood Flow Abnormalities during Tilt-Testing in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)
    by
    C. (Linda) M. C. van Campen
    1,*,
    Peter C. Rowe
    2 and
    Frans C. Visser

1 Stichting CardioZorg, Planetenweg 5, 2132 HN Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
    2 Department of Pediatrics, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
    *Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
    Medicina 2023, 59(12), 2153; https://doi.org/10.3390/medicina59122153
    Submission received: 19 November 2023 / Revised: 6 December 2023 / Accepted: 11 December 2023 / Published: 12 December 2023

Abstract

Background and Objectives:

During tilt testing, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) patients experience an abnormal reduction in cerebral blood flow (CBF).

The relationship between this CBF reduction and symptom severity has not been examined in detail.

Our hypothesis was that ME/CFS severity is related to the degree of the CBF reduction during tilt testing.

Materials and Methods:

First, from our database, we selected ME/CFS patients who had undergone assessments of ME/CFS symptomatology and tilt tests on the same day, one at the first visit and the second during a follow-up.

The change in symptomatology was related to the change in CBF during the tilt test.

Second, we combined the data of two previously published studies (n = 219), where disease severity as defined by the 2011 international consensus criteria (ICC) was available but not published.

Results:

71 patients were retested because of worsening symptoms.

The ICC disease severity distribution (mild-moderate-severe) changed from 51/45/4% at visit-1 to 1/72/27% at follow-up (p < 0.0001).

The %CBF reduction changed from initially 19% to 31% at follow-up (p < 0.0001). Of 39 patients with stable disease, the severity distribution was similar at visit-1 (36/51/13%) and at follow-up (33/49/18%), p = ns.

The %CBF reduction remained unchanged: both 24%, p = ns. The combined data of the two previously published studies showed that patients with mild, moderate, and severe disease had %CBF reductions of 25, 29, and 33%, respectively (p < 0.0001).

Conclusions:

Disease severity and %CBF reduction during tilt testing are highly associated in ME/CFS: a more severe disease is related to a larger %CBF reduction.

The data suggest a causal relationship where a larger CBF reduction leads to worsening symptoms.

Keywords:
    orthostatic intolerance; tilt-table testing; ME/CFS; stroke volume index; cardiac index; cerebral blood flow; disease severity; symptom worsening

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Nice commentary about the importance of objective measures in the introduction:

Rationale and study hypothesis:

Method:
    ICC criteria
    Mild - approx 50% reduction in activity
    Medium - mostly housebound
    Severe - mostly bed bound
    Very severe - entirely bed-bound (excluded from the study as they could not undergo tilt-testing)

Heart rate, blood pressure measured - changes during tilt characterised as 'normal', 'POTS', 'orthostatic hypotension'

Internal carotid artery and vertebral artery Doppler flow velocity
    Blood flow in each vessel was calculated from the mean blood flow velocities times the vessel cross-sectional area and expressed in mL/minute. Flow in the individual arteries was calculated in 3–6 cardiac cycles and data were averaged. Total CBF was calculated by adding the flow of the four arteries.

Simon M, Sean, Mij and 8 others like this.