1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the concerns that antibody immunity to coronavirus will only be short-lived?

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by Hip, Apr 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Hip

Hip Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Does anyone know why there are concerns that antibody immunity to coronavirus will only be short-lived?

Some have suggested the immunity might only last for a few months after a coronavirus infection. Or might only last for one or two years.

I've never heard of a viral infection which exhibits such short antibody immunity. To my knowledge, immunity to viral infection typically lasts in the order of decades rather than months. I believe that's why vaccine boosters are normally recommended every decade.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No references, sorry, just a vague recollection of reading that those estimates are based on other corona virusses which, apparently, typically only induce short- to medium-term immunity.

Sarah94, alktipping, Hip and 4 others like this.
  3. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think it is known that the virus mutates very slowly (I have heard it even carries an DNA repair - for the used host DNA - mechanism, don´t know how common this might be though). So from the site of the virus there shouldn´t be any hindering.

I thought it is only said because it has not already been shown, but what Ravn says sounds reasonable. I wonder if this has to do with mutation or if there might be another reason.

alktipping likes this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

5. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've also seen comparisons made to other known coronaviruses that, despite not mutating very much at all, appear to reinfect people every few years, causing common colds. Have no idea on the accuracy or relevance of those statements though.

alktipping and Leila like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

alktipping, ladycatlover and Leila like this.
  7. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

alktipping and ladycatlover like this.
  8. JaneL

JaneL Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s very encouraging isn’t it, that the antibody-mediated immunity appears to last as long as 3 years? So medical staff who are returning to work after recovering from the virus should be safe from reinfection, at least until we have a vaccine (which, as I understand, is expected to happen within 3 years)?

9. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for pulling out the relevant text.

alktipping, MeSci and JaneL like this.