1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Why health anxiety needs to be recognised in hospital practice, 2020, Tyrer

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, May 18, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Open access, https://www.rcpjournals.org/content/clinmedicine/20/3/339

2. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

?

In my experience hospital staff have been excellent at "treating" my perceived health anxiety.

Having an easily visible and recognisable problem the staff, on realizing I had a diagnosis of ME/CFS, witheld treatment - even though it was obvious I was in a great deal of discomfort and getting worse- until they had an opportunity to berate me very, very loudly.

Given the state I was in I was too ill to do, or say, anything about it.

Since then I have had repeated close calls with the same thing. If it gets bad enough, quick enough and I am alone it could cause death. Even so, I have taken the chance & not attended A&E.

Perhaps there's a quota - when x number have died we'll be happy?

Is there any other profession or business in the world who whinge and find ways of abusing their customers simply because they're busy?

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is why I don't go and see doctors unless my problem is actually visible. But, as you've found too, from experience I know that having a visible problem is no guarantee of getting appropriately treated or being treated with kindness or politeness.

4. Arnie Pye

Reference for the above :

Nimnuan C, Hotopf M, Wessely S. Medically unexplained symptoms: an epidemiological study in seven specialities. J Psychosom Res 2001;51:361–7.

Is this reference the same one that @dave30th has debunked on several occasions?

alktipping and Amw66 like this.
  5. wdb

wdb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My biggest health anxiety is that some idiot doctor might diagnose me with health anxiety thus preventing access to appropriate services.

6. Arnie Pye

+1

7. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

YES!
    this is also true when you already do have anxiety and it’s on your doctors/ hospitals notes and also sometimes clearly visible, so because of that they think everything is down to anxiety. So tired of being gas lighted.

MEMarge, alktipping, rvallee and 6 others like this.
  8. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What? It's literally a reflex that is often done-and-gone in a few minutes. There's literally an entire field of published literature on this being a systemic problem with well-documented disastrous consequences. We are currently living in the golden age of psychosomatics, it's never been more popular and influential. And no one has ever been able to demonstrate any ability to tell "health anxiety", whatever that means, apart from illness. Doctors are not psychics, they need the tools and processes of science to validate their judgment.

Great example of ivory tower bubble, to suggest that something should be done when in fact it has been abused to hell and back for centuries and should rather be deleted from the profession. It makes as much sense as someone suggesting maybe there should be criminal penalties for drug use as a deterrent as if no one had ever thought of this before. It only shows you've been living in a fantasy bubble.

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not so much debunked as wildly misleading in the first place. Every symptom is unexplained until it is and diagnosis is neither easy nor straightforward. Medical science is so far from being complete that to argue that anything that can't be readily explained in a few seconds cannot exist is unscientific nonsense.

Most crimes are also unexplained until they are eventually investigated. Most crimes are not investigated simply because the resources aren't there. Those crimes still happened and the victims are still affected, sometimes severely so. This logic is frankly absurd to the point of being infantile.

10. EzzieD

EzzieD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow, that's a heckuva patronising and downright potentially dangerous set of personal beliefs on display in that article. I wondered who this person was and a quick google turned this up (apologies if everyone here knows who he is, I hadn't heard of him): https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/p.tyrer . "Professor of Community Psychiatry in the Centre for Mental Health in the Division of Experimental Medicine." Experimental Medicine, eh?

Apparently he wants to generate work for himself via his belief that more folks have mental illnesses than is currently recognised:

Sean, MEMarge, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  11. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm. Major reform of classification .
    Could be ominous

EzzieD, Sean, Arnie Pye and 3 others like this.
  12. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the only reform needed is to throw their bible the dsm into the bin where it has always belonged if I was in charge of public libraries who by law have to have copies of various psychobabble publications they would always be placed in works of fiction . as far as I am aware libraries do not have sections called idiocies of the past perhaps such a section will one day be created .

wdb, Arnie Pye and Invisible Woman like this.