1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Who said: don't bother testing patients?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by JaimeS, Nov 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It will be noted that Dillon recorded the characteristic relapsing/remitting condition continuing in some cases for a number of years.

ladycatlover likes this.
  2. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ramsay also followed patients over the years, found a relapsing/ remitting condition to account for about half the cases. There was no difference between survivors of the epidemics and sporadic cases of ME until the situation was confused by the invention of CFS.

My symptoms match the descriptions of the epidemics especially as I never had 6 months of fatigue giving a 50% loss of function.

No matter what anyone else on this forum has or what is being researched nowadays I have the same illness as epidemic ME.

MEMarge, Pyrrhus, rvallee and 2 others like this.
  3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The pattern of presenting symptoms also has consequences for the recognition of
    illness and subsequent referral patterns. Patients suffering from depression with
    primarily somatic features are more likely to be referred to physicians whereas those
    with mainly traditional psychological features, especially guilt and low self-esteem,
    are most likely to be referred to psychiatrists [32, 33]. This is one of many
    explanations [9] of why the diagnosis of depressive illness is so often missed in
    fatigued patients [34], as was the case in this sample. Moreover, such 'inappropriate'
    referrals to physicians can lead to extensive physical investigation that may perpetuate
    the symptom patterns of physical attributions.
    The converse may apply
    following psychiatric referral, and it is probable that the attributional styles noted
    in both samples were reinforced by their respective settings. Indeed, given the crosssectional
    nature of the study, it is impossible to exclude the suggestion that the
    observed attributional differences were entirely secondary consequences of referral,
    although this seems unlikely

Journal of Psychosomatic Research
    Volume 34, Issue 6, 1990, Pages 665-673
    [​IMG]
    Attributions and self-esteem in depression and chronic fatigue syndromes
    R.Powell∗R.Dolan∗S.Wessely
    sci-hub.tw/10.1016/0022-3999(90)90111-G

This is an interesting paper in that Sherpa (so called because he is left to do all the heavy lifting whilst others make their bid for the summit) considers that it supports his assertion that

Furthermore there is some evidence to support the suggestion that patients who attribute incapacity and failure to a physical disease rather than to their own shortcomings are able to maintain a more positive self view.

So far as I can see Wessely et al say nothing so gauche and this statement by Sherpa is therefor most revealing

RedFox and Sean like this.
  4. Lucibee

Lucibee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re: https://www.s4me.info/threads/who-said-dont-bother-testing-patients.6532/page-15#post-146664

I'm currently making my way slowly through the marvellous Osler's Web.

Several things strike me. Although ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), and other tests, are mentioned in the various guidelines etc, it doesn't tell the clinician what they supposed to be looking for. The implication is that it is just used to exclude other things. But Cheney noted that ESR was dramatically reduced (0-2mm/h - the rate you'd expect in a newborn or young child) in the Tahoe (and Charlotte) cohort. Also, NK cells were low. And of course the UBOs on MRI. I suspect these signs were left out of guidelines because no-one knew what they meant - and they hadn't been able to confirm them elsewhere - but that in itself should be a reason to keep pointing it out until someone worked out what is going on.
    What's also concerning is that no-one seems to have systematically tried to confirm this in other cohorts. Was this a peculiarity of Tahoe? Or was it pathognomonic across the board? I wonder if anyone has looked at this more recently?

RedFox, Hutan, Sly Saint and 3 others like this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RE: this quote -- "As patients undergo more tests, they will focus on a laboratory abnormality and subsequently find researchers interested in studying these abnormalities". 50

Jumping in a million years later, that quote cited from source 50 stating that is not actually in that source. I just read the whole thing because it also appears as though Ron's oft-quoted review on one of his grants, "since ME can't be treated, what's the point in diagnosing it", might be directly from paper #50:

I'd say it's a coincidence, but this is one of the papers cited early by Wessley et al., and may be considered foundational to the BPS philosophy. It is an early paper that contains a surprisingly large number of arguments used in perpetuity.

Looks like they left the hypothesis that "having a father who was an overachiever" puts you at risk for contracting EBV in the past, though.

Lots of things confidently stated that have no citations next to them, such as "patients report swollen lymph nodes but clinicians do not find these." (yes, they do!) The reader is meant to take these assertions on faith.

Trish, Sly Saint, EzzieD and 7 others like this.
  6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A direct quote (in quotation marks no less) is not in the cited paper?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  7. Lucibee

Just updating as the link to the MUS leaflet now seems broken - However, this one has been archived: https://web.archive.org/web/2013050...h.ac.uk/pdf/CHECKED MUS Guidance_A4_4pp_6.pdf

Mithriel, Michelle, Sly Saint and 4 others like this.
  8. yME

yME Established Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2023
    MEMarge likes this.
  9. Lucibee

I've finally got round to writing this up... https://lucibee.wordpress.com/2023/...se-assumptions-plague-the-medical-literature/

In doing so, it's revealed some things I hadn't previously realised (or had forgotten) about the CFQ. That it is based on Goldberg's General Health Questionnaire, and that inception and validation is a bit dodge. I touch on that in the next post: https://lucibee.wordpress.com/2023/08/08/problems-with-pawlikowska-et-al-bmj-1994/ but I probably should try to go into more detail. Basically, as long as you use the right (complicated and flashy) tools and get broadly expected results, no-one will look too closely and reveal that all your assumptions are pants.

And it pains me that one of the most recent citations of Pawlikowska is in the development of a Turkish version of the CFQ. :aargh:

EzzieD, Hutan, Tia and 9 others like this.
  10. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Excellent work, Lucibee. It seems the more we dig into the research on fatigue and ME/CFS, the worse it looks. As a side issue, but I think and important one, they seem to use the words fatigue and tiredness interchangably.

EzzieD, Hutan, Ariel and 4 others like this.
  11. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Do you have a reference for this? I thought Ramsay said all ME was relapsing / remitting.

Mithriel and RedFox like this.
  12. Lucibee

SNT Gatchaman, Sean, RedFox and 5 others like this.