1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Whitney Dafoe Updates

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Samuel, Jun 5, 2019.

1. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Probably due to your browser settings that don't let your browser show embedded social media posts?

Here's the link:

Code:
    https://www.facebook.com/whitneydafoe/photos/a.126919172179117/349983023206063/?type=3

2. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see public Twitter posts, and I can get a link which allows me to see Instagram posts on a new tab, but facebook links just don't exist for me on this forum - they just show a blank post.

But I could see your facebook link when I opened it on another tab, thank you.

3. roller*

roller* Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Louie41

Louie41 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just a word of support for you, @Perrier. I often think of the sadness and horror faced by those who love someone with ME. For sure, it's not just the ill one who suffers, but anyone who loves them, too. :hug::hug::hug:

5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Possibly James May

Possibly James May Established Member

Copied from the OMF thread

Here we go again...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2022
  7. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

8. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what Whitney means by that statement, but if it makes him and others feel good saying it, that's fine. I wish him well.

9. mango

I'm sorry Trish, I don't understand what you are trying to say? Your comment has a very dismissive feel to me, but maybe I'm reading it wrong?

Whitney's message resonated very deeply with me, actually. That's why I shared it here.

The sentiment feels very life-affirming and empowering to me. To me it's about standing up (sorry for the poor choice of words) for ourselves and our rights as human beings and patients. Refusing to accept the abuse, the neglect, the harms, the discrimination etc. Taking a stand against the fact that society couldn't care less about how badly we are treated, couldn't care less if we all died today. Resistance by existence; our mere existence is a form of political resistance.

A confirmation of the fact that resistance can come in all shapes and forms, and that it matters. We matter.

ETA: To me it has the same kind of energy as Jennie Spotila's message "Be gloriously, defiantly noncompliant. Speak truth to power.", "Be brave. Be noncompliant." Which I also love.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  10. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Without pretending to know exactly what he meant, I simply understood the sentence as : the daily courage shown by the pwme, which in the worst moments or states is pure survival, is an act of protest against the disease... a perseverance in hoping that science will one day find a cure for ME.
    Or maybe I'm wrong.

11. mango

I love that :hug:

12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I apologise. I am glad Whitney's message has deep resonance for others. All I was trying to say is that I didn't understand it. If that came across as dismissive it certainly wasn't intended.

13. mango

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain :) No worries!

14. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

15. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As expected, unfortunately. I do not know if developing tolerance to psych drugs is more common in ME patients relatively to the general population, but I have had the same experience with benzodiazepines.

I hope that he does not start having withdrawal symptoms, in which case he would be forced to taper off of Abilify (which would very likely be devastating for his health).

It is indeed endlessly frustrating to think about all these things we would love to do all day long while being bedridden and sometimes blindfolded, but can’t.

16. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My family has lots of experience with mental health drugs. As I write this, I have several family members under the care of psychiatrists and others are in therapy. One of my relatives took full strength Aripiprazole for bipolar 1. It stopped working for him.

I've taken the drugs myself and I've went to therapy. I no longer need therapy and I'm drug free. Hooray! Here's my opinion. The drugs that take weeks for the effect to begin are working downstream of the problem. The longer it takes for the drug to begin the farther it is downstream.

Greater compatibility with a person's body means better effectiveness and the longer a drug will last. Sometimes a person can get years before the effectiveness diminishes.

When the drugs start producing weight loss and/or sleeplessness that's a sign the drug's compatibility is diminishing. Increasing the dosage delays the loss. (Increasing the dosage can lead to addiction, yes even drugs psychiatrists say aren't additive.) Jumping from one drug to another also delays the loss of effectiveness.

The drugs produce withdrawal when stopped. The longer the drugs are taken the greater the withdrawal when stopped. Taking stimulates and/or sleep aids to stay on the drugs makes the withdrawal worse. Being stubborn and staying on the drugs anyway, produces severe side effects in the end.

The withdrawal can be brutal. I've done it myself and watched family members endure it. 0-10, do not recommend. It's better to stop the drugs using medication than cold turkey.

It's best to never start taking them.

Whitney has the most expensive experts in the US, I hope they can find him a good solution.

17. Jaybee00

18. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the splitting of the spectrum was the most important move BPS did. Mild they call invisible but really it’s ‘don’t acknowledge’ the symptoms from certain things as they ‘aren’t that bad to be obvious’ - people got away with that for years when I was moderate even tho I know that they must have seen it wasn’t in their interest then they didn’t

severe and very severe they think ‘it can’t get that bad’. Because of the lies they tell themselves about the consequences of what they do to those who are moderate and mild.

apart from getting shot of old physios and staff who make it clear they won’t change and don’t have the personal qualities to respect the patient and create a safe space for them to communicate limits. The most important thing I think is that a medic is required to ‘take ownership’ of ‘a patient’ over a lifetime and to monitor stages and report on them as happens with any other disease. And that includes deaths.

invisible probably is wholly inaccurate and it is more important to get across facts on what is present eg PEM and the whole scale and progrsssion. Do people call mild MS invisible because I think of MS based on whatever I’ve seen which had some pretty debilitated people.

It’s an interesting note to be debating and nuance is marketing and messaging - so v important to get right

alktipping, Sean, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  19. Jaybee00

20. Jaybee00