1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Whitney Dafoe Updates

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Samuel, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Open Medicine Foundation

https://www.omf.ngo/2020/10/05/wishing-whitney-dafoe-a-happy-birthday/

ahimsa, rvallee and cfsandmore like this.
  2. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merged thread

Awareness Starts With Us

> All horrific acts in the history of humanity have been done by dehumanizing a group of people.

note:

facebook seems to make the page disappear for those not using facebook / who will never use facebook / who cannot use facebook. in addition, s4me seems to show blank space instead of the link for those who don't use js.

thus, posting the full text here would be good, if it is ok to do. i got the article from @tomkindlon on co-cure but the email encoding introduced glitches like "didn=E2=80=99t". it's ok to edit this post to put the full text in if any moderator wants to.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2020
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

EzzieD, Samuel, Mariaba and 5 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've never hid my illness and have never gone into great detail about ME only because it's too complicated to explain PEM, not because I feel ashamed or judged. I have been dismissed by one or two doctors because they didn't believe ME was a lifelong illness, they understood PVFS though.

Comparing it to the experiences of the LGBT community is a bit . . . odd?

5. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mij at what age did you get ME/CFS?

Joh, MEMarge and cfsandmore like this.
  6. Mij

29. I hope I didn't offend anyone with my message. I guess comparing it to the LGBT experience made me react.

7. Rain

Rain Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ariel, alktipping, EzzieD and 9 others like this.
  8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

9. Mij

I don't think the reason that there is little awareness and funding for ME is because we are 'hiding' our illness from friends and family.

We need a little more perspective here.

Ariel, alktipping, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  10. Rain

Do you truly feel like you can talk about your illness/get as much understanding/support from your surroundlings like a friend with more known/understood illness? Do you feel like you can ask your surroundings to support ME research just as freely as a Cancer patient? MS? Lupus?

MEMarge, Dr Carrot, Trish and 6 others like this.
  11. Mij

Yes I do, and I certainly wouldn't be disowned or made to feel ashamed because I have an illness that is still not well understood. I have never been threatened or felt the need to hide because I'm disabled. No one in my life has ever accused me of choosing to live a 'lifestyle' of ME.

I am not understanding the comparisons being made between ME and LGBT community experience.

alktipping, cfsandmore and Alton like this.
  12. Trish

I think we can each only speak for ourselves. My friends, family and former colleagues all knew/know my diagnosis, but most know very little about it, and I have not helped by trying to 'act normal' back when I was working, and socially, leading to considerable misunderstanding of the level of disability.

I hate boring people with my symptoms. If they ask how I am, I usually just thank them for asking and say something inane, like 'much the same'.

Sharing a few good articles on Facebook has helped a bit, though most don't read them.

alktipping, MEMarge, EzzieD and 11 others like this.
  13. Mij

@Trish

I've had several ppl tell me, "I have CFS too, or a friend had it and tried . . . and got better" :emoji_rolling_eyes: Thanks to the stupid name. That would be the main reason for me to avoid mentioning it.

Ariel, Perrier, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  14. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patients are definitely hiding, downplaying, not talking about their illness, and it's definitely harming us.

They are definitely pressured (by people uncomfortable with reality) to just behave normally even when that is not possible.

Family is definitely telling patients how disappointed they are with them (in a futile attempt to motivate them to try harder to make something out of their lives).

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  15. Trish

Which is why I've always called it ME when I mention it. Sadly I still get people saying the same 'I had a friend ... ' stories.

Perrier, alktipping, Yessica and 8 others like this.
  16. Rain

Well, as documented above: LGBT/Human Rights veteran Peter Tatchell brought it up without even being encouraged to do so... I think that settles it.

alktipping, JemPD, MEMarge and 4 others like this.
  17. Mij

[refers to a poster who has since deleted their post]

I am so sorry you experienced this! That is cruel. How common is this?

I have encountered dismissiveness and "condition your life around it" comments, but I've never been bullied or abused because I was sick or had ME by anyone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2020
  18. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very, very common.

19. Mij

Are you referring to children or young adults who haven't established themselves yet? If that's the case then the parents are abusive- period.

I mean, I was an active productive adult before becoming ill, and my family (who know who I am) would not question my illness if I could no longer work or study because of illness.

alktipping and hinterland like this.
  20. Marky

Marky Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well I studied at uni and worked, and the first years after disease onset was a nightmare cause many family and friends thought i was mentally unstable

I know so many who goes through so much prejudice, so you cant generalize your own experience here