1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

When Your Body Ages Too Fast

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Alvin, May 22, 2019.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://slate.com/technology/2019/05/werner-syndrome-speeds-up-aging-search-for-a-cure.html

2. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"Could treating it help us all age more slowly?"

We all know what the author is getting at here. But what grammatical error is this? It's not a tautology. It's not an oxymoron.

It's not right but for the life of me I cannot recall what it is called and I used to teach this shit.

Clearly, my brain can relate to the article.

3. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

It is stated that cell repair damage could be a cause to this. But @duncan I am not sure most poeple die out of aging, pretty much anything could cause death and aging being a possibility.

DokaGirl and duncan like this.
  4. duncan

duncan Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry, @Dudden , I did not explain myself well. I was trying to figure out what error it is to say someone can "age more slowly". Age and time go hand in hand. You cannot age more quickly or slowly. Your body can show signs of aging more rapidly or slowly - there are diseases that do this. But in an absolute sense, you age as the clock ticks.

I suppose I am cutting hairs. I was just trying to identify the fallacy. Didn't mean to detract from the thread. And technically "age" can be used to mean deterioration, it's just a secondary meaning, but nonetheless...

So never mind. :)

alktipping and DokaGirl like this.
  5. Dudden

Dudden Established Member (Voting Rights)

No apology necessary @duncan .

alktipping, DokaGirl and duncan like this.
  6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If it was an error it might be a category mistake as defined by Gilbert Ryle in The Concept of Mind (1949ish).

But maybe 'to age' in the sense of to deteriorate is the primary meaning. Primary meanings of verbs often do not track logically from the noun. Do we ever use 'to age' meaning just to exist later?

We say 'but she has not aged at all', 'the Book of Kells is finally beginning to age', ...
    We do not suggest that a hydrogen atom has aged - because it never changes its composition.

Of course things get complicated when you start constructing complex verbs like 'he has aged well' - which I guess again demonstrates how meanings do not track the way we think they should. I spent a merry year in a philosophy department discovering that philosophers tend not to cotton on to this - as Wittgenstein said about 'language going on holiday'.

alktipping, DokaGirl and duncan like this.
  7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I thought he was not to be mentioned.

DokaGirl and duncan like this.
  8. Jonathan Edwards

Wittgenstein's saving grace was that towards the end of his life he realised that he was a phoney.
    He actively discouraged others from taking up academic philosophy - which he rightly considered as chiefly 'therapy' for those who had got lost in a word muddle.

9. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

There’s a certain clique of psychologists and liaison psychiatrists who should take up academic philosophy then because they desperately need therapy for being lost in one hell of a word muddle.

alktipping, Hutan, andypants and 3 others like this.
  10. Jonathan Edwards

Oh, but they have - they always mention Descartes, although it seems they have not read him.

And the mentioning of Descartes via allusion to Ryle, who seems to have got Descartes back to front too.

No doubt they are fans of Kant.

11. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It cannot be so. All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.

andypants likes this.
  12. Jonathan Edwards

For the best but the guy did say that on the way there things can get a bit grubby - even in the best possible world.

chrisb likes this.