1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"What Works Now?: Evidence Informed Policy and Practice"

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"What Works Now?: Evidence Informed Policy and Practice"

I can't see the whole chapter but it looks like there might be something there of interest to some people trying to challenge some supposedly "evidenced-based" claims

https://books.google.ie/books?hl=en&lr=lang_en&id=LiGKDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PA225&dq="chronic+fatigue+syndrome"&ots=VmRhnFAKDy&sig=DNWHdAPXUWYSyZTymeZJh-hz1iU&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q="chronic fatigue syndrome"&f=false

Walker.JPG

https://twitter.com/user/status/1103006335870865410

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

That quote is from 2007 [edit - sorry, misread this], and seems to be suggesting that published evidence can't be trusted, so the writer prefers to base their decisions on anecdote.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    shak8 likes this.
  3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Okay. I think the chapter itself looks more nuanced and that was mainly what I was referring to.
    By the way, I'm not sure that quote is from 2007. No results from the PACE trial had been published at that stage.

Edited to add: Actually, I'm almost definite the more recent given she refers to a 2018 publication.

4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Oops, you're right, it actually refers to 2018 in the text.
    The 2007 refers to the date of a book referred to at the bottom of the quoted section.

shak8 and Tom Kindlon like this.