1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What the Gardasil Testing May Have Missed

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by akrasia, Dec 26, 2017.

1. akrasia

akrasia Established Member (Voting Rights)

Mods, this article straddles a couple of categories so please go ahead and transfer it if it's not the right place. It's a long read describing the onset of m.e. following hard upon a vaccination with Gardisil.

Its focus is primarily on the problematic collection of data during the clinical trial, which he argues was both sloppy and short sighted. It seems to me that the author, a Danish writer, is sympathetic to the suggestion that the woman, who is central to his narrative, may have developed the illness as a result of the injection. He takes m.e. very seriously and might be a good person for a q and a about the disease and its politics in Denmark.

https://slate.com/health-and-scienc...made-it-harder-to-properly-assess-safety.html

hedgehog, Viola, Kalliope and 4 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Merck had only a 2 week window for adverse effects - anything outwith this was not attributed to the vaccination. Many side effects, falling outwith this period were not noted as such, and this may be where ther are problems .The reporting parameters ate weird.

3. Amw66

Apologies - phone keypad, larger fingers and too many glasses of wine -the reporting parameters are weird!

4. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

This is a really good article. Not trying to be sensationalist or to arouse panic, just stating that adverse events reporting in drug trials is not as good as we think it is.

I thought this line was terribly astute - and it reminded me of what happened in the PACE trial.
    Edit: I tend to think that the rare instances of MECFS following HPV are not a reason to refuse the vax (mainly because I suspect the trigger event for MECFS is not the cause of the illness, its just the straw that pushes our crap immune systems over their limit). But still, I agree that this should investigated more thoroughly.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. akrasia

akrasia Established Member (Voting Rights)

A couple of other questions for me are: do vaccinations pose a risk once you are sick; and as a corollary to what @Woolie wrote is it more the proverbial straw or an emergence of an occluded latency, the tiger that was ready to spring

Of course, the article, implicitly,describes the failure of the epidemiology of m.e. and the lack of research into the pathophysiology of the disease.

ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  6. Amw66

Of the 5 people i know with ME, 4 were linked to vaccinations. I' m pretty sure that immune systems were compromised, and that vaccinations overloaded the system

ladycatlover likes this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I received 4 vaccinations following my sudden viral onset. My noticeable loss of stamina started soon after my second Hep B shot.

ladycatlover likes this.