1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What percent of supplemental D Ribose is converted to ATP?

Discussion in 'Other treatments' started by Alvin, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I take a teaspoon a day, it does noticeably help (and i wish i knew about it years ago) but i am wondering if anyone knows what percent efficient it is, how much of my 5g/day is being converted to ATP?

Aroa and Trish like this.
  2. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure we know how percent efficient it is. I had a look but the limited studies seem to use 3x5g daily for CFS and other conditions. There are a load of other studies for cardiac patients and some studies on rats and quite a good write up here referencing the papers.

https://examine.com/supplements/d-ribose/

If the theory is correct then you would expect to need to constantly dose and the required dose to vary depending upon level of activity and severity. The only study on CFS which used self reported measures, has a potential COI and didn't use a placebo so this isn't much help (sorry)

"D-Ribose is thought to interact with fibromyalgia based on the knowledge that there are perturbed skeletal muscle energetics in subjects with fibromyalgia,[14] most notably reduced ATP levels (of which D-ribose is a component),[15]and how D-ribose in high doses can influence this tissue in athletes.[5] One case study has noted that 5g of D-ribose taken twice daily alongside other medication in a subject with fibromyalgia greatly reduced symptoms, which returned after one week of supplement cessation.[16]

In subjects with fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) who given D-ribose at 15g a day (three divided doses) for just under three weeks, supplementation was associated with subjective improvments in energy, sleep, and well-being with an increased pain threshold.[17] No placebo control was used in this study and there may be a conflict of interest (product supplied by a company of which produces D-ribose and employs one author).[17]"