1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

What can I do to treat covid-19 infection?

Discussion in 'Infections: Lyme, Candida, EBV ...' started by Hoopoe, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think I have covid. I am not sure that I'm up to date on what should be done in this situation. Please advise.

Symptoms started 3 days ago with a sore throat. Now a stuffy nose, cough with a little production of phlegm, and a bit of malaise. No worrying symptoms but I'm a little concerned about long covid and other sequelae.

Question: Is it too early to perform a rapid test? How useful are rapid tests anyway at this point with so many variants that have come and gone? How important is it to obtain evidence of covid infection?

Question: assuming that I don't do a rapid test, would it be useful to do an anti nucleocapsid test in ? weeks to confirm that I had it and have fresh antibodies, so that I know whether I should get vaccinated or not?

Question: Is there anything that can be done to speed up the recovery and/or reduce risk of long covid. I heard about metformin but I'm not overweight.

Question: are there inexpensive nasal sprays that are useful when I'm already infected?

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I think do a test now, don't wait. Apart from sensible stuff like resting and staying well hydrated, I think the only advice we can give is to consult your doctor.

3. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's certainly in your interest to find out if it is covid or something else.

It's not too early to test. I would do 2 or 3 tests over the next few days / week if you have access to rapid tests.

I'm not clued up enough about antibody tests to provide advice. I suspect it's very complex, like most antibody tests.

As Trish says: rest, eat as well as you can, reduce stress if possible, stay hydrated.

The nasal sprays lower chance of infection once exposed. You've already developed symptoms, so whatever this is these sprays will be useless.

4. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think Rapid tests are still worth it. There are concerns about their accuracy with all the variants that have come and gone, but whenever I had Covid a rapid test detected it extremely reliably, of course a PCR test is far more accurate. I don't think it would be too early for a Rapid test either, for me 2 days of symptoms was always the positive test peak.

If one of the tests do come back positive, then there's always the possibility of trying to get some Paxlovid, which has shown some small statistical signs of reducing Long-Covid (of course this might entirely depend on the definition of Long-Covid that is used and might be more PICS related) and probably does close to nothing for an individuals prevention risk.

If one is worried about Long-Covid I do think that if a Rapid test is positive it might even be worth it to get a PCR test. Simply because this might make it possible to partake in clinical trials in the near future or even medication if those will ever exist. At least the current trials usually require a confirmation of an infection and it's more straightforward that doing some alternative tests later.

Carmen Scheibenbogen recommends Paxlovid+nasal cleaning to prevent a severe acute disease www.twitter.com/user/status/1623062908421775360, but I think those are rarely the case anymore and probably are unlikely if you've already had it for 3 days.

5. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
    DokaGirl, Hutan, Kalliope and 2 others like this.
  6. Hoopoe

The rapid test was negative. I've been told a lot of people in my area have covid now so I'm not convinced.

MeSci, DokaGirl, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  7. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’ve never managed to test positive on a rapid test, I think because you have to catch it early because I have ME the early phases leads to extreme exhaustion(similar to normal but more extreme) so I don’t think infection immediately, so do my tests till 2/3 days after this phase when more with it or when more obvious signs appear. Probably too late. Where as other members of family get in quick and have tested positive.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  8. Ash

@Hoopoe wishing you a speedy and straightforward recovery :emoji_bouquet:

DokaGirl, alktipping, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  9. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Rapid test on day 2 after symptoms start; then test again 48hrs later. About 90% accuracy of detecting a positive.

ahimsa, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  10. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I was advised by the NHS to test on at least three consecutive days if I started having symptoms, so they could make a judgement call about antivirals. I don't have any details about the reasoning is behind the strategy, but that's what they seem to be saying at the moment. The rapid tests are all they're using outside hospitals, so that's pretty much the only option here. They should still be as accurate as they ever were.

I don't think there's much you can do if you have picked it up, unless you can access antivirals. Just rest, fluids, and try not to be too worried ... yeah, I know how stupid that sounds, sorry.

I've been through the testing protocol three times already—actually turned out to be PEM in every case, which sometimes includes cold symptoms. I'll keep my fingers crossed that might be the case for you too.

DokaGirl, alktipping, EndME and 4 others like this.
  11. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been following this, but I thought, just from what I had heard in the media, that paxlovid administered in the first week had a material impact on the chance of a severe infection and so was a good thing to do. EndME, why do you say that it probably doesn't help anymore? Is it that the virus strains have become more mild?

Yes, to @Hoopoe, hope you are feeling better soon.

DokaGirl, alktipping, Ash and 2 others like this.
  12. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to add, for me it was always good to swab both nose and mouth, only doing one sometimes gave a negative. In my case mouth seemed to be of particular importance.

Paxlovid still has a great impact on preventing severe infections, at least that is my understanding. From what I can tell severity of acute infections have decreased for various reasons and aren't too relevant for the classical Long-Covid (not PICS or classical organ damage related things). If someone still feels like he's dying on day 1 I would think that's quite a different situation to someone feeling relatively normal on day 3 in terms of developing a severe acute infection. If someone already has LC then I would also think that 10 days of Paxlovid early in an acute infection seems like a very good idea.

In general for any immunocompromised patient, a patient with LC or some similar scenario, like previously very severe Covid infections, I think Paxlovid is the way to go if there is a positive test result, no matter how severe the infection might be.

Binkie4, DokaGirl, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  13. Hoopoe

I swabbed throat (near the tonsils) and then nose (all the way back). The swab technique was rotating and pressing the stick with the cotton-like material on the end against the skin to collect some cells. That's the proper way to do it as far as I understand.

Ash, Trish and EndME like this.
  14. Ash

15. Hoopoe

My fatigability and PEM threshold is slightly worse. Throat a bit scratchy. ANS is a bit overactive. Not very different from my usual level of sickness.

Trish and Ash like this.
  16. Ash

I hope it stays this way and then goes away again!