1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wessely gets touchy feely

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Estherbot, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Estherbot

Estherbot Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

He's the philosopher-king of British psychiatry.

3. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Patient - I've broken my leg
    SW - What was it about your relationship with your mother that made you feel you had to break your leg today?
    Patient - What are you talking about? I'm in a great deal of pain and can't stand or walk to find a real doctor.
    SW - I understand, what do you think has caused your perception that you cannot walk at this time?
    Patient - I have a broken leg and am unable to seek assistance from a real doctor!
    SW - I don't have to put up with this abuse and harassment from the likes of you!!

edit - actually if this had been worded to suggest that the broken leg had been caused by SW's hypothetical Bentley careering into the pedestrian patient, and the conversation was on that basis, it would probably have be truer to reality of the situation.

Sorry - I'll try harder next time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    healthforall, Viola, Binkie4 and 30 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

5. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmmm. The tweets replying to that one are worth reading as well as other links from SW´s tweets.

Edit: photo and related text deleted

6. Estherbot

7. large donner

large donner Guest

Not scientific then!

ladycatlover, BruceInOz, sea and 16 others like this.
  8. large donner

large donner Guest

Ah now I get it, psychiatry is science fiction!

9. Estherbot

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well no, eventually a lot of things in science fiction actually happen, granted relative few US towns have been eaten by a large blob in the last few years, but other things, like tablets, mobile phones, cheese in a can, the world being ruled by lizards in skin suits - they may have actually happened.

edit - to clarify - I am saying that in my opinion science fiction has, over time, more chance of having aspects of it emerge into reality, than psychiatry does - that it's more "real". ;)

11. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is a great macrocosm of the problem

I disagree, the lizard one makes no sense, lizards aren't slimey enough :cautious:

12. Ysabelle-S

Ysabelle-S Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sure feeling with their mind and thinking with their soul was what that profession were up to with conversion therapy. I won't forget what they did to my other community.

PandaEyes, Ash, Solstice and 16 others like this.
  13. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds like self-esteem is a bit lacking and like a call to raise barriers between the discipline of psychiatry and the lay public. After all, only the elite can understand why, for example, the PACE trial is a thing of beauty.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Hi Helen. I'm not talking in any official capacity here, but I'm personally uneasy about the use of that photo. SW deserves all the criticism that we can put his way but I'd prefer for it not to look like we are dragging his family into it.

ladycatlover, sea, Cheshire and 12 others like this.
  15. Helen

Helen Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Andy , photo deleted. I guess I´m still too upset from a GP´s visit in my home, me on the sofa, some months ago. Before she even asked me about my story and actual condition, she claimed that CBT and GET would be good for me. It´s not only in the UK...

16. Estherbot

This came to mind too

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/03/psychiatry-bashing/

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thank you :) I'm sorry you've experienced that, change can't come soon enough.

18. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Wesseley wants to say this:

Realising that some might find it a bit unpalatable, he kindly reframes it thus:

Now it is a third person saying how smart he is ("I was told ...") so that he can shrug in self-effacing fashion about being the great saviour of the mentally ill.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

healthforall, Viola, Ash and 19 others like this.
  19. large donner

large donner Guest

So he agreed and went into psychiatry.

Viola, Ash, ladycatlover and 12 others like this.
  20. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Justifying doing harm while lying about it does not make it ok, no matter how "noble" one claims their origins to be.
    If one is truly that smart they should be able to see the pain they are purposely inducing instead of victim blaming then inflicting more harm while pretending they are offering legitimate treatments.