1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Well-known, famous people with Covid-19 and Long Covid

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by Forbin, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Joe Rogan was tested positive and was fairly symptomatic. Got a bunch of meds (prednison, Ivermectin, monoclonal antibodies).

This didn't age well with previous statements of his (when you're young and healthy it's going to be mild) and he's very previleged to have access to these meds. Wish him the best of course.

2. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Did he think 50 odd counts as young?

3. Leila

Leila Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure, he didn't give an age rank back then when he made that statment and it's unclear if he himself got vaccinated or not.

chrisb likes this.
  4. Remain in Light

Remain in Light Established Member (Voting Rights)

Louie41, Hutan and SNT Gatchaman like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That story about Martha Hancock seems to be resulting in a lot of media attention, even now, a number of months later. I wonder if it will have the effect of bringing useful attention to the reaction of spouses when someone gets Long Covid/ ME/CFS.

Snow Leopard, TiredSam and Louie41 like this.
  6. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oscar-winning actor Jeff Bridges says his lymphoma is in remission, and he is feeling better after battling Covid-19, which made "cancer look like a piece of cake."

CNN
    NBC

Ash, Snow Leopard, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Canucks: Brandon Sutter experiencing long-haul COVID symptoms
    https://theprovince.com/sports/hock...-sutter-experiencing-long-haul-covid-symptoms

It's honestly hard to describe just how much peak conditioning pro hockey demands. It demands all three of strength, endurance and resistance, at the same time, in bursts and in long shifts. They definitely do not skip leg day.

Sutter was among 25 Canucks players and coaches who contracted COVID in April in what was the largest outbreak in the NHL last season. Every player on the team’s opening-night roster has been vaccinated, it was confirmed on Monday.

“He was pretty down and out, feeling pretty sick,” his father Brent Sutter told Sportsnet.ca in April . “He’s got symptoms — body aches, headaches, chills — just like you have the flu. I guess each guy is different in terms of how it affects you … For younger people to get this sick, it’s scary.”

Sutter, who is said to be feeling fatigued since August , has missed all of training camp and the pre-season.

He signed a 1-year, $1.125-million contract with the Canucks this past off-season.

But muh secondary benefits.

8. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Only locally well-known people in this case but delta is seriously making the rounds here (we are at an all-time high of cases and recently we have been in the very top countries in terms of deaths per capita, sometimes occupying the number one spot).

So today, a famous rock singer has died of covid. Imagine that Mick Jagger has died of covid, he was basically the local equivalent (and also the same age). He was a big deal here, the Ministry of Human Resources is going to arrange and pay for his funeral out of respect. (Some Germans might have heard one of his band's songs as Scorpions covered it, also Kanye West sampled the same song.)
    He was unvaccinated and trusted his immune system, he wasn't worried about covid.

Also a former Olympic gold medalist (in rings) has been put on a ventilator today, another really famous person here. He is 51, unvaccinated and he is actually a known covid denier, frequently posting really dumb covid conspiracy theories in social media.

I'm not sure if it's the same elsewhere but here you have to be extremely lucky to survive once on a ventilator. I'm not saying it never happens but your chances are really really low, it is practically a death sentence where a few people are lucky enough to cheat death.

Not a celebrity but another covid story that happened today: a guy I know who is in his 40s and in very good (above average) shape just shared it on FB that he had left the hospital after getting covid. I think he received oxygen but wasn't on a ventilator. He had two vaccines but back in March, so a long time ago.

So anyway, we are a small country and this is a lot of covid news for one day, things are really going downhill currently.

Edit: added wikipedia links to these people.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Arnie Pye, Barry, Joh and 13 others like this.
  9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't think this has been mentioned but, sadly, actress Dawn Wells of "Gilligan's Island" fame died of Covid-19 almost a year ago on 12/30/20. She was 82.

She had been living on her own, but came down with Covid-19 shortly after she moved into an assisted living facility.

dw.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Barry, Joh, Snow Leopard and 8 others like this.
  10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Barry, Joh, hibiscuswahine and 5 others like this.
  11. SNT Gatchaman

Billie Eilish.

From People magazine

Barry, rainy, Ash and 6 others like this.
  12. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

13. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not sure that 2 months qualifies as Long Covid?

I'm seeing links to a story that the "comedian" Jethro has died of/with Covid.

MEMarge, Barry and hibiscuswahine like this.
  14. SNT Gatchaman

Rowland Manthorpe, technology correspondent for Sky News. 8 months in to long COVID.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1471425944472768513

Interestingly Piers Morgan replied with the following unelaborated comment:

15. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Piers Morgan has probably been trying lots of meds. The one he happened to be taking when he improved is now being given the credit. If the med really has "cracked it", I look forward to finding out what this cure for ME is and when the randomised controlled trials are to start.

Sorry if I'm doing Piers Morgan a great injustice here. I'm sure he wouldn't just say stuff.

16. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The man is being a bastard, dangling a carrot in front of sick people, without saying where to get the carrots from.

17. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Yes, thinking about it, it would be a strange universe where Piers Morgan didn't have the answer to something.

MEMarge, JemPD, Sean and 4 others like this.
  18. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well, he has passed today. (After more than a month on the ventilator.)

As I said, unfortunately not many people come back from the ventilators here.

Ariel, Mithriel, Lilas and 7 others like this.
  19. Wits_End

Wits_End Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I note that the death of Meat Loaf has been attributed to Covid-19, too :(

Ariel, Trish, Wyva and 1 other person like this.
  20. SNT Gatchaman

Mick Hucknall. Article in ... I'm sorry ... The Sun.