1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Webinar: COVID-19 as a Trigger for ME/CFS: Severity Biomarkers and Underlying Mechanisms with Dr Carmen Scheibenbogen

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by Sly Saint, Sep 9, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

October 24 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am PDT
    Organizer
    Solve M.E.
    https://solvecfs.org/event/covid-19...everity-biomarkers-and-underlying-mechanisms/

ahimsa, Lilas, Ariel and 5 others like this.
  2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is what we are afraid of when the various ME/CFS communities go about promoting Long Covid and not being concerned about the funding gap, if something helps Long Haulers and not ME patients we will been dumped by our own advocacy groups for years. Its likely they are similar and progress in one helps the other but its by no means guaranteed especially if the solution involves antivirals against Covid or the spike protein.

V.R.T., alktipping, Ariel and 2 others like this.
  3. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We do not yet have an operational clinical definition of Long Covid and on the basis of current knowledge Long Covid is even more likely to a heterogeneous grouping than ME.

It would only currently be meaningful to say Long Covid and ME diverge if the comparisons are made between people with Long Covid who also meet the clinical definition of ME and people with ME who have been shown not to have had any active Covid 19 infection.

ME is triggered by lots of different viruses and it would be unreasonable to claim Covid 19 never triggers ME, rather it remains to see what percentage of those with long term sequelae following Covid have ME and what percentage do not. Then do people with Covid triggered ME also have some of the other symptoms following Covid experienced by other people with long term Covid sequelae who don’t meet the diagnosis for ME or not?

obeat, Lilas, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  4. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

ahimsa, RedFox, obeat and 2 others like this.