Webinar 4th June 2024: Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh RCPE: ME/CFS and Long COVID

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by bobbler, Apr 23, 2024.

1. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I've seen this mentioned on social media so thought I'd link to it here. I think it looks good from the speakers.

https://events.rcpe.ac.uk/rcpe-mecfs-and-long-covid
    • Events
    Book Now
    TUESDAY
    04 June
    RCPE: ME/CFS and Long COVID

Please note that this event will be delivered online, and access information will be emailed to all registered delegates the day before the event.

The latest in our special edition series is focused on Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and Long Covid. These complex multi-system illnesses have increased in prevalence since the Covid-19 pandemic, and can be highly disabling, significantly impacting a person’s ability to work and function in daily life.

During this webinar you will learn about the pathophysiology of ME/CFS and Long Covid, clinical presentation, making a diagnosis, and common associated conditions such as Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS). You will also learn about up-to-date management strategies and treatments. You will hear from the patient perspective, a very important aspect in learning, understanding and managing these conditions. Levels of severity of ME/CFS will also be discussed, including the impact on nutrition and the use of supplemental nutrition. Finally you will hear about current and emerging research into both the understanding and management of ME/CFS and Long Covid.

We would like to express our sincere thanks to Dr Marie-Claire Grounds and Dr Hannah Preston for their support in developing this event.

This online event allows the opportunity for delegates to watch the presentations live, or at their convenience for up to 6 months following the original broadcast. Please note the presentations will be available to view on catch-up the second working day after the live event. Delegates can continue to register for catch-up access only after the live event has taken place.

Delegates will have the opportunity to submit questions to the speakers which will be addressed live at the event taking place at 6.00pm – 8.30pm (BST)

2. bobbler

Programme:

Improving our clinical understanding of infection-related chronic illness

Introduction & Welcome by
    Dr Kerri Baker, Dean of Education, Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh

Co-Chairs: Dr Marie-Claire Grounds & Dr Hannah Preston

Patient perspective
    Speaker Details - TBA

Overview - What is ME/CFS, brief pathophysiology, common symptoms, PEM and pacing
    Dr Nicola Clague-Baker, Physiotherapy Lecturer, School of Health Sciences, University of Liverpool
    & Ms Karen Leslie, Chartered Physiotherapist

POTS and Dysautonomia- what, tests, current treatments
    Dr Nicholas Gall, Consultant Cardiologist, King's College Hospital, London

Severe and Very Severe ME
    Jaime Seltzer, Scientific Director, MEAction Network, USA #MEAction

19.30 Refreshment Break

Long Covid - What, how, who, impact
    Professor Danny Altmann, Professor of Immunology, Imperial College, London

Current and emerging research
    Dr David Putrino, Director of Rehabilitation Innovation, Mount Sinai, New York City

20.30 Close & Thanks

3. bobbler

People's thoughts on whether there are any 'catches' I've missed?

It feels like being able as a community to find ways to get as many people as possible - medics, HCPs, but maybe also others (I'd like to see us starting to get into education/schools etc for example as BPS hammered that one) - to be attending and getting educated by good, modern useful stuff

SHould there be some sort of network that can have a badge for 'good things' vs bad? Or maybe not in that manner as I know for example the MEA links to articles for information then puts their thoughts etc.

It would be really good if the 'goodies' and those who know a bit could start to band together to help pointing those who are either laypersons 'trying to help' (but often then getting swayed into thinking offering you mind stuff is being kind) and even newbie patients to 'find their way through the mire' of different things?

4. Fainbrog

Fainbrog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's a pretty stellar line-up imho

Peter Trewhitt, Sean, rvallee and 5 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the names involved, looks pretty solid.