Wearable movement-tracking data identify Parkinson’s disease years before clinical diagnosis 2023 Schalkamp et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jul 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Parkinson’s disease is a progressive neurodegenerative movement disorder with a long latent phase and currently no disease-modifying treatments. Reliable predictive biomarkers that could transform efforts to develop neuroprotective treatments remain to be identified.

Using UK Biobank, we investigated the predictive value of accelerometry in identifying prodromal Parkinson’s disease in the general population and compared this digital biomarker with models based on genetics, lifestyle, blood biochemistry or prodromal symptoms data. Machine learning models trained using accelerometry data achieved better test performance in distinguishing both clinically diagnosed Parkinson’s disease (n = 153) (area under precision recall curve (AUPRC) 0.14 ± 0.04) and prodromal Parkinson’s disease (n = 113) up to 7 years pre-diagnosis (AUPRC 0.07 ± 0.03) from the general population (n = 33,009) compared with all other modalities tested (genetics: AUPRC = 0.01 ± 0.00, P = 2.2 × 10−3; lifestyle: AUPRC = 0.03 ± 0.04, P = 2.5 × 10−3; blood biochemistry: AUPRC = 0.01 ± 0.00, P = 4.1 × 10−3; prodromal signs: AUPRC = 0.01 ± 0.00, P = 3.6 × 10−3).

Accelerometry is a potentially important, low-cost screening tool for determining people at risk of developing Parkinson’s disease and identifying participants for clinical trials of neuroprotective treatments.

Paywall, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-023-02440-2

Kitty, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 7 others like this.
  2. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This result could be useful in showing how useful accelerometry can be in disease states including ME.

Maybe relevant for Sarah Tyson's study.

ETA: Neil Harrison, one of the authors was involved in ME research at Sussex Uni, some of which was funded by AfME.
    He gave a talk at one of their AGMs, ?2018, before he moved to Cardiff. He was looking at fMRI and there was inceased activity in the basal ganglia. I asked him about this after the talk, because only one of the two BGs showed this. I can't remember which side. He didn't know why.

Kitty, MSEsperanza, Hutan and 4 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This really should be applicable to ME. It is quite different from just measuring how much activity people do. The result is the pattern of acceleration identified. PWME ought to have signature pattern, or maybe two or three different patterns.

A study like this for ME would be much cheaper tha complicated lab tests and to my mind much more likely to produce a result.

Mithriel, Kitty, MSEsperanza and 12 others like this.