Want to learn about neurology

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Sarah94, Jul 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I would like to learn some basic neurology. Can anyone recommend things for me to read? Needs to be easy to take in in small chunks.

MEMarge, alktipping, Yessica and 4 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A long time ago I read some pop-science neurology that I quite enjoyed, but I've since come to realise that a lot of what they said was rubbish. I'm afraid that leaves me without a recommendation for you. Good luck with finding something though.

MEMarge, alktipping, Sarah94 and 2 others like this.
  3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

I was recommended any of these three by a researcher at my university (he works with translational neuroscience):
    Eric R. Kandel – Principles of neural science
    Dale Purves – Neuroscience
    Larry Swanson – Brain architecture: understanding the basic plan

He said Purves was the most accessible one, although I assume they are all a bit heavy. Didn't get around to read any of them as I crashed and had to focus on my actual studies :p Depending on your level and what you want to know, are youtube videos an alternative? There are many on neuroscience.

4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

When I jumped in at the deep end for uni a few years ago, I tackled the module I would have felt least confident with ( electrical systems) on the basis if I passed that I would cope (!)
    I used YouTube and Kahn Academy for a lot if the basics as I found 10 min videos were ideal for me in " getting it"
    Perhaps that may help?
    Quick Googleamd a " drawing in action" type video ( I am a bit biased when it comes to graphics )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7nLOTkmv6c

MEMarge, Daisymay and Sarah94 like this.