1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wall Street Wants the Best Patents, Not the Best Drugs - Curing diseases like Hepatitis C just doesn’t pay. By Joe Nocera - Bloomberg Opinion

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Patient4Life, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Patient4Life

Patient4Life Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. alktipping

alktipping Senior Member (Voting Rights)

well that is not news the world of medicine was created for profit shock !

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Enter a group called the Initiative for Medicines, Access and Knowledge, or I-MAK for short. I-MAK is funded in part by John Arnold, a billionaire energy trader who once worked at Enron. Its mission is to challenge key pharma patents in an effort to enable generic competition and bring down the price of important, life-saving drugs. Tahir Amin, one of I-MAK’s co-founders, told me that his group had had its eye on Sovaldi as long ago as 2012, even before the drug received approval by the Food and Drug Administration. I-MAK’s position is that the basic compound at the heart of Gilead’s drugs, sofosbuvir, is simply not novel enough to merit 20 years patent protection.

Inara likes this.