1. Guest, clicking here will take you to the 'News in Brief' post for w/c 2nd Dec.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Waking up in the night and hearing a brain-generated sound

Discussion in 'Neurological/Cognitive: Brain Fog, Concentration' started by strategist, Jun 25, 2018.

1. erin

erin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I hear bagpipes prior to sleep. It is in the back ground and seriously annoying racy tune. I fall into sleep with it and I suddenly wake up with a huge popping sound, like a wine cork popping then I get awake. Anxiety is there too but not so bad, don't know what this symptom is called.

andypants likes this.
  2. am1978

am1978 New Member

I can confirm that whooshing sound is due to low blood sugar in my case - happened twice. Once in the gym when I exercised without enough food and second after surgery, when I was without food for more than 18 hours. In the second case, it disappeared within seconds when I had a sugar candy... but the whooshing sound that leads to like an exploding sound while sleeping (and wakes me up) isn't blood sugar related as it happens after I have had a good meal.

andypants and strategist like this.
  3. am1978

am1978 New Member

I had something exactly like this yesterday. The whooshing sound leading to a pop which woke me up. Only the whooshing sound has happened to me when sugar was low (twice - see my other comment), but this increasing pitch with pop at the end - its nothing to do with blood sugar as I had eaten well the evening before.
    Not glad its happened to you, but glad I am not alone...

andypants and strategist like this.
  4. Ryan31337

Ryan31337 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @am1978,

In the context of dysautonomia eating does not preclude a low blood sugar event, in fact it may actually precipitate one.

In retrospect I realise most of my low blood sugar tinnitus symptoms were a result of gastric dysmotility, rapid emptying after carbohydrate heavy meals.

Ryan

andypants likes this.