1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vox published a podcast detailing how “pain acceptance” is “gaining traction” among American doctors as a response to the opioid epidemic....

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by TrixieStix, Apr 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://themighty.com/2017/11/pain-.../?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=VideoComment

"The podcast prompted a backlash from people with chronic pain, who argued that saying a level of chronic pain is “acceptable” essentially abandons chronic pain patients. Rather than tell them they need to accept their pain, they need more pain relief options, doctors who are willing to fight for them, and less stigma against using opioids responsibly."

oldtimer, sea, AliceLily and 9 others like this.
  2. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. Meditation and physical therapy. I fortunately don't have pain as a major symptom and I coun't my lucky stars for it all the time as it means I'm exempted from the pain and painkiller politics. But given my experience in general with fatigue, it's easy to see how this is a problem.

I'm sure very few patients on painkillers actually are free of pain. They accept pain. Classic example of a doctor thinking they are reinventing the wheel by coining pain acceptance. I realize that much of what doctors do is actually what makes them feel most comfortable. Many support CBT because it's better than not having an answer (from reading reddit threads). If you can't prescribe painkillers, you need something to tell your patients to make it feels like your helping. It's too important a symptom, and yet also too subjective, and so the prescription for painkillers or acceptance can not be efficient.

But, yeah, I think opiods have become so politicized they will continue to be demonized rather than the abuse of opiods.

3. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The only people who could say such a thing are those who've never suffered long-term untreated or under-treated pain. I suspect that the death rate from suicide will sky-rocket.

What use is a doctor who can't or won't help with pain?

4. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)