1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vocal biomarker predicts fatigue in people with COVID-19: results from the prospective Predi-COVID cohort study 2022 Elbéji et al

Discussion in 'Long Covid research' started by Andy, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

Objective
    To develop a vocal biomarker for fatigue monitoring in people with COVID-19.

Design
    Prospective cohort study.

Setting
    Predi-COVID data between May 2020 and May 2021.

Participants
    A total of 1772 voice recordings were used to train an AI-based algorithm to predict fatigue, stratified by gender and smartphone’s operating system (Android/iOS). The recordings were collected from 296 participants tracked for 2 weeks following SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Primary and secondary outcome measures
    Four machine learning algorithms (logistic regression, k-nearest neighbours, support vector machine and soft voting classifier) were used to train and derive the fatigue vocal biomarker. The models were evaluated based on the following metrics: area under the curve (AUC), accuracy, F1-score, precision and recall. The Brier score was also used to evaluate the models’ calibrations.

Results
    The final study population included 56% of women and had a mean (±SD) age of 40 (±13) years. Women were more likely to report fatigue (p<0.001). We developed four models for Android female, Android male, iOS female and iOS male users with a weighted AUC of 86%, 82%, 79%, 85% and a mean Brier Score of 0.15, 0.12, 0.17, 0.12, respectively. The vocal biomarker derived from the prediction models successfully discriminated COVID-19 participants with and without fatigue.

Conclusions
    This study demonstrates the feasibility of identifying and remotely monitoring fatigue thanks to voice. Vocal biomarkers, digitally integrated into telemedicine technologies, are expected to improve the monitoring of people with COVID-19 or Long-COVID.

Open access, https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/12/11/e062463

DokaGirl, Sean, SNT Gatchaman and 2 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have a feeling this will fall flat when they try to reproduce it. But if it doesn't, hey, it's a strange biomarker, but whatever works at this point.

3. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

Well, changes in my voiceis a sign I'm starting to struggle, though I can crash also without this happening

Lilas, DokaGirl, Sean and 5 others like this.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Voice changes can also occur in thyroid conditions.

5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

when regularly pushing myself over limits eg when I was working part time I would get to a point in phone meetings that my voice would become croaky. Then later (10 15 minutes?) my energy would be drained to the point I couldn’t concentrate any more. So I would say to people in my team if my voice gets croaky that’s when I need to stop.

Joan Crawford, DokaGirl, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. moobar

moobar Established Member

My partner gets croaky when she is becoming over-exerted. It's usually a good sign that she needs to go rest a bit.

sebaaa, DokaGirl, Sean and 5 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

I have long argued that there is a bunch of potential and non-invasive biomarkers like this that could provide good data.

Changes to vocal timbre and patterns is one of them. Including from a musical perspective (ability to hit pitch and stay there, ability to come in on time and stay in time, etc).

But there is a whole range of sensory-cognitive-motor stuff.

The real pay off I think is in monitoring them over time, not just one-off sampling, or short periods.

What it really needs to work is a large baseline population data set to compare and contrast before and after getting sick.

Medicine is missing a real opportunity here.

8. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I think changes in voice, amount, and detail given, and other aspects of voice maybe revealing to study in our community.

Some are too debilitated in a crash to carry on much of a conversation at all. Also, problems with word retrieval could be noted in such a study.

9. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another speaking problem I've noted with ME, is combining two words into one. I've done this when I have felt more unwell than usual.

I understand pwME may also slur their words when they are feeling very unwell. This has happened to me.

Trish and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

History of the profession in a nutshell.

Joan Crawford, Sean and DokaGirl like this.
  11. Kitty

Kitty Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, it's always struck me that typing would be a decent entry-level type of test, as keystrokes are easily analysed. But vocal testing is an interesting one, as I imagine a lot of us do notice changes. I routinely lose my voice, tonsillitis-fashion, when I've run out of energy.

I'm interested in eye-tracking research, too, as it has a good chance of being considered reliably objective if the protocol's right. It'd be very hard (if not impossible) for a patient or a researcher to control or influence that type of function.

12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yes good idea about eye tracking. I’ve heard about it’s use in testing how people use websites, the F pattern, scanning for headings etc. so I imagine there’s data out there about how healthies do that that could be compared against people with ME and other energy limited folks.

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That's the sort of stuff I am talking about. :thumbup:

Gait (at different speeds), and balance
    Fine hand-eye coordination (e.g. sewing, writing/drawing)

There is a whole bunch.

Use continuous tracking for at least several weeks, if not months, and/or a 2-day test protocol every so often over that period, and see what turns up in the analysis.