1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Violation of the Dutch Code of Ethics for Psychologists with current CFS guideline, 2023, Bloks & Khouri

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Dolphin, Aug 30, 2023.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Violation of the Dutch Code of Ethics for Psychologists with current CFS guideline

Date: 25 August 2023

Authors: M. Bloks (General Health Psychologist, not practicing because of ME/CFS). In association with: B. Khouri (General Health Psychologist)

https://psycholoogme.com/2023/08/30...for-psychologists-with-current-cfs-guideline/

Scientific understanding of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) has changed and given rise to an essential paradigm shift.

We observe that this shift has, at present, not reached the Dutch CFS guideline and, subsequently, the fields of work of medics and allied health professions, including psychologists.

A new guideline for adults is in development but completion has been postponed to 1 May 2026 at the latest.

No revision of the guideline for children has been announced.

This is concerning because new insights make plausible that an essential segment of the patient population currently subsumed under the CFS umbrella is at risk of harm by professional adherence to the current (dated) CFS guideline

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  2. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This has me confused. Is this a separate guideline to the one used/produced by ZonMw? Are CFS and ME/CFS now different qualifications in the Netherlands?

Kitty, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  3. EndME

EndME Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The Netherlands seems to be the Wild West in terms of naming conventions. The BPS group calls it CVS and uses psychological criteria to diagnose it and then manipulates ME/CFS studies with that, they couldn't care less about guidelines. Then there's a misguided adovacy group that believes that ME/CFS, ME and CVS are different conditions and then you have some very few proper researchers and groups that actually use the guidlines and either call it ME/CFS or ME/CVS.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Kitty, Solstice, RedFox and 4 others like this.
  4. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know which advocacy group you mean, but I think it's just one guy. We do have different support groups where one is actively working against us/for BPS researchers.

Kitty, Sean, Ash and 2 others like this.
  5. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)