1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Open Victoria, Australia: Can dietary supplementation with krill-oil improve ME/CFS symptoms?

Discussion in 'Recruitment into current ME/CFS research studies' started by Tom Kindlon, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.emerge.org.au/get-involved-in-research

Can dietary supplementation with krill-oil improve ME/CFS symptoms?
    Researchers from Deakin University (VIC) are recruiting for their study that aims to address the efficiency of krill oil supplementation in treating ME/CFS and understand the mechanism of ME/CFS.

Patients interested in participating in this study need to satisfy the below requirements:

• Have been clinically diagnosed with ME/CFS
    • Are aged 18 years or older
    • Not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
    • Not allergic to shellfish
    Study involves 12 week supplementation, donating blood samples, grip strength and non-invasive body composition testing. Patients will need to be located in or around the Greater Melbourne and Geelong regions.

For more information or to register your interest, please feel free to contact the researchers at Deakin University conducting the study:

Email: krillcfs@deakin.edu.au

Ph: (03) 9244 5207

2. Midnattsol

Midnattsol Moderator Staff Member

12 weeks sounds like a short timeframe. I'm assuming potential participants have normal (that is to say, low) intake of omega-3 fatty acids, so the first 4-8 weeks would be an increasing level of omega-3's in tissue and then only a month at saturation. Depending on dosage of course, which I am just guessing would be on the lower end. We don't know at what tissue levels to expect an effect if there is any.

Of course there are other potential effects of omega-3 in the diet that is not related to tissue concentration, such as interactions with the gut microbiome and epithelium. Krill oil also has some neat antioxidants that could also be beneficial in the gut although I'm not sure how well they are absorbed by the gut and if they have any noticeable effect in the body.

I do like that they will have grip strength and body composition testing.

shak8, Mij, alktipping and 6 others like this.
  3. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Are patients tested first to determine whether they are low in Omega 3?

My Omega 3 levels were at 3% on my RBC Fatty Acid test. My cognitive function was terrible during that time period 20 years ago. I started taking fish oils as recommended and after 6 months there was noticeable improvement.

4. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wonko and Midnattsol like this.