1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Vascular ATP‐sensitive K+ channels support maximal aerobic capacity and critical speed via convective and diffusive O2 transport, 2020, Colburn et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Aug 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

In rats.
    Paywall, https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1113/JP280232
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.tw/10.1113/jp280232

merylg, Hutan, Kitty and 1 other person like this.
  2. adambeyoncelowe

adambeyoncelowe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting. I am always low on potassium and get muscle cramps for hours if I don't supplement it. I'm sure they need to do a lot more to show this applies in humans, though.

3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Potassium seems to be the element that tanks in refeeding syndrome. On the other place there were numerous threads on potassium deficiency after starting a new supplement. Folate (and methylated Bs) seemed to be especially problematic. V8 juice and coconut water seem to be good at bringing levels up/ checking status.

I havn't read the paper - would this feed into the hypoxia theory?

merylg likes this.
  4. adambeyoncelowe

Ah, so B vitamins might deplete potassium?

5. adambeyoncelowe

Looks like B12 can do, yeah (and potassium can deplete B12 too). Which might explain a lot. That's that in the bin then!

Amw66 likes this.
  6. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nothing is ever easy is it ? An ever moving goalposts.

Given that potassium is key for cellular pumps , how does the finding affect sodium?

adambeyoncelowe likes this.
  7. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

For what it's worth, sulphonylureas are quite widely used herbicides e.g. from a study of spray diaries of NZ cereal growers
    In a quick google, I didn't find such much evidence of, or concern about, toxicity to humans.

Andy likes this.
  8. adambeyoncelowe

I know. Everything has a knock on effect.

Amw66 likes this.
  9. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The key point is that muscular capillary function is not controlled by central nerves like Arteries and veins, but regulated locally to maintain a constant-flow condition (variable pressure).

It is already known that KATP channels play a key role.

Some more discussion here:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4132831/

MEMarge, Andy, Hutan and 2 others like this.
  10. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

KATP channels seem potentially relevant to ME/CFS - ATP signalling; vascular tone regulation; mention of sepsis, ROS.

I don't have time/capacity right now to dig into that paper that @Snow Leopard posted. I'd have to draw some diagrams to work out what is making what go up or down. But @Snow Leopard, or anyone else, if you have the time and interest to translate and summarise, I'd appreciate an easy way into understanding a bit more about this.

Andy, wigglethemouse and Trish like this.
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't really know that much and don't have the energy to explain much. I'm not sure what needs explaining either.

A key point is that these are "inwardly rectifying" channels, meaning it is easier for K+ ions to travel into, rather than out of the cell. This means they are meant to be closed during depolarisation, and open during repolarisation.

Wikipedia says this: (on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depolarization)

Not that the function in veins/arteries is to maintain flow while keeping pressure in bounded range (and under central control). Whereas in capillaries, the goal is to maintain flow, even if pressure can be relatively high or relatively low in comparison to the arteries.

Hutan, Amw66, wigglethemouse and 3 others like this.