...valaciclovir, valganciclovir, and artesunate efficacy in reactivated HHV-6 and HHV-7 infections associated with [CFS/ME], 2022, Maltsev et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Full title: A comparative study of valaciclovir, valganciclovir, and artesunate efficacy in reactivated HHV-6 and HHV-7 infections associated with chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis

Abstract

The study aimed to compare the efficacy of valaciclovir, valganciclovir, and artesunate in treating chronic reactivated HHV-6 and HHV-7 associated with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS). From 255 patients with reactivated HHV-6 and HHV-7 infections (blood leukocyte PCR) in 192 cases, valaciclovir, valganciclovir, or artesunate were administered at a dose of 3,000, 900, and 100 mg per day, respectively, for 3 months (study group). The control group consisted of similar 63 ME/CFS patients not taking any antiviral drugs. The significance of differences was evaluated by Student's T-test and the non-parametric criterion – the number of Z-signs. Negative PCR results in HHV6 and HHV-7 treated with valaciclovir was achieved in 26% and 23% (first), 34%, and 28% (second), 37% and 34% of cases (third month), respectively (p<0.05; Z<Z0.05). The same results with valganciclovir were obtained in 35% and 33% (first), 44% and 39% (second), 48% and 45% (third month), but with artesunate – in 44% and 41% (first), 57% and 53% (second), 68% and 63% of cases (third month), respectively (p<0.05; Z<Z0.05). Artesunate is more effective than valganciclovir and valacyclovir in ME/CFS patients with reactivated HHV-6 and HHV-7 infections.

Paywall, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1348-0421.12966

2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

3. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I tried artemisinin (which is pretty similar to artesunate) and it didn't do anything for my HHV7. Then again, acyclovir didn't work either.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.