1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of Valsalva Maneuver to Detect Late-Onset Delayed Orthostatic Hypotention, 2023, Jin-Woo Park et al

Discussion in 'Orthostatic intolerance' started by Mij, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract

Background:
    Standard autonomic testing includes a 10-minute head-up tilt table test to detect orthostatic hypotension. Although this test can detect delayed orthostatic hypotension (dOH) between 3 and 10 minutes of standing, it cannot detect late-onset dOH after 10 minutes of standing.

Methods:
    To determine whether Valsalva maneuver responses can identify patients who would require prolonged head-up tilt table test to diagnose late-onset dOH; patients with immediate orthostatic hypotension (onset <3 minutes; n=176), early-onset dOH (onset between 3 and 10 minutes; n=68), and late-onset dOH (onset >10 minutes; n=32) were retrospectively compared with controls (n=114) with normal head-up tilt table test and composite autonomic scoring scale score of 0.

Results:
    Changes in baseline systolic blood pressure at late phase 2 (∆SBPVM2), heart rate difference between baseline and phase 3 (∆HRVM3), and Valsalva ratio were lower and pressure recovery time (PRT) at phase 4 was longer in late-onset dOH patients than in controls. Differences in PRT and ∆HRVM3 remained significant after correcting for age. A PRT ≥2.14 s and ∆HRVM3 ≤15 bpm distinguished late-onset dOH from age- and sex-matched controls. Patients with longer PRT (relative risk ratio, 2.189 [1.579–3.036]) and lower ∆HRVM3 (relative risk ratio, 0.897 [0.847–0.951]) were more likely to have late-onset dOH. Patients with longer PRT (relative risk ratio, 1.075 [1.012–1.133]) were more likely to have early-onset than late-onset dOH.

Conclusions:
    Long PRT and short ∆HRVM3 can help to identify patients who require prolonged head-up tilt table test to diagnose late-onset dOH.

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.122.20098

alktipping, Michelle, ahimsa and 4 others like this.
  2. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting!

This study is about whether a longer tilt table test is needed. But I wonder if these same factors - pressure recovery time (PRT) and heart rate variability (HRV) - would also be useful for deciding whether a NASA lean test is sensitive enough vs. needing a tilt table test?

I asked one of the doctors on twitter about whether a NASA lean test could detect NMH (Neurally Mediated Hypotension, aka, a delayed drop in blood pressure, which is what I think what they are calling "late-onset delayed orthostatic hypotension"). I believe the reply was that the NASA lean test can sometimes detect this but it will miss cases where the blood pressure drop is delayed.

I always wonder about false negatives, where a person thinks they don't have any type of orthostatic intolerance, but if the test had been longer it would have shown a drop in their blood pressure. My blood pressure drop happened after 20-30 minutes ( two different tilt table tests).

ukxmrv, alktipping, Mij and 2 others like this.