1. Guest, the two part 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 9th May 2022 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of trackers for Parkinson’s patients

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Jul 27, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49075253

BBC article showing that trackers are being looked at for ongoing monitoring of Parkinson’s patients

Surely developments like this have to make it much harder for any further research into ME even psychological to ignore using activity monitoring.

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@NelliePledge, I agree.

BPS researchers emphasize there are no objective measures for ME, and yet dismiss this tool that could provide evidence.

MEMarge, Sean, Annamaria and 3 others like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scares me a little. Next thing will the DWP be putting trackers on disabled benefits claimants to monitor their activity and then saying "you walked 200m today so we're taking away your benefits as you're clearly not disabled". Or BPS fatigue clinics tracking whether patients are doing prescribed activity levels.

mango, Wonko, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Microchips for alzheimer's- interact with heating system and avoid use of manual controls to provide suitable temperature - this has already been proposed (!)

( my cousins daughter has her art masters portfolio on a microchip in her hand - her theme was cybernetics)

Smart meter data has already been used in a study to " track" elderly with dementia etc and pick up warnings when routine changes ( when the kettle doesn't t go on for a cuppa etc)

Alexa is really a glorified bug , listened in to every now and again.

Perhaps everyone should read the personal privacy thread by @Webdog

MEMarge, mango, Wonko and 2 others like this.