1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Use of trackers for Parkinson’s patients

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by NelliePledge, Jul 27, 2019.

1. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-49075253

BBC article showing that trackers are being looked at for ongoing monitoring of Parkinson’s patients

Surely developments like this have to make it much harder for any further research into ME even psychological to ignore using activity monitoring.

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@NelliePledge, I agree.

BPS researchers emphasize there are no objective measures for ME, and yet dismiss this tool that could provide evidence.

Hutan, MEMarge, Sean and 4 others like this.
  3. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Scares me a little. Next thing will the DWP be putting trackers on disabled benefits claimants to monitor their activity and then saying "you walked 200m today so we're taking away your benefits as you're clearly not disabled". Or BPS fatigue clinics tracking whether patients are doing prescribed activity levels.

mango, Wonko, DokaGirl and 1 other person like this.
  4. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Microchips for alzheimer's- interact with heating system and avoid use of manual controls to provide suitable temperature - this has already been proposed (!)

( my cousins daughter has her art masters portfolio on a microchip in her hand - her theme was cybernetics)

Smart meter data has already been used in a study to " track" elderly with dementia etc and pick up warnings when routine changes ( when the kettle doesn't t go on for a cuppa etc)

Alexa is really a glorified bug , listened in to every now and again.

Perhaps everyone should read the personal privacy thread by @Webdog

Hutan, MEMarge, mango and 3 others like this.
  5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Wearable technologies that monitor Parkinson’s symptoms recommended for use by NHS in England
    Feb 2023
    https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/...rkinsons-symptoms-recommended-use-nhs-england

"NICE have conditionally recommended 5 remote monitoring devices for Parkinson’s for use by the NHS in England. Further data on how the devices improve health, quality of life and the cost of care will shape a final recommendation.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has said that 5 devices that remotely monitor symptoms of Parkinson’s can be offered by clinicians to people with Parkinson’s.

The devices that NICE has recommended are Kinesia 360, KinesiaU, PDMonitor, Personal KinetiGraph (PKG), and STAT‑ON.

How do the devices work?
    These devices are worn at home over several days while they track and record your movement symptoms. This information is sent to your Parkinson’s health professional to interpret it and discuss any changes needed to your care and treatment.

Use of these devices may help avoid unnecessary trips into a clinic or help you to get seen sooner if an issue is identified in between appointments.

However, we do not believe that these devices should be used to replace face-to-face appointments entirely.

Supporting this development
    Parkinson’s UK was an early supporter of this type of technology, providing funding to Plymouth University Hospital to trial use of the PKG device as part of their Home Based Parkinson's Care pathway.

In the trial, the device helped support self-management of a person’s Parkinson’s and identified problems early.

People with Parkinson’s who used the device shared their thoughts:

• “It’s very easy to wear, it doesn’t get in the way at all, I’m surprised they can get so much information out of it ”
    • “I can see the benefit in the short-term and the long-term in terms of key milestones that you’re being monitored against”
    NICE has asked services who use the devices to collect more information on how using them impacts on a person with Parkinson’s health and quality of life. Services will also assess whether their use represents value for money for the NHS.

We hope this decision by NICE will help see use of the PKG and the other remote monitoring devices spread across the NHS. We welcomed the NHS England announcement last year and have been meeting with them to understand more about their plans.

Please speak to your Parkinson’s nurse or consultant for more information."

As an example of the data measured: